Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front Wheel Bearings

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Has any 1 come across a cheap alternative for replacing VR front wheel bearings....??? U have to replace the entire hub assy.... Rapeco quoted me $200 per side..... Just crap, when u consider a normal car would cost like less then $100 for L and R wheel bearings..

Typical stupid Holden...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i've tried to get bearing for late model holdens from bearing/transmisssion outfits but none seem to list em so it looks like you need the entire hub assembly

Johnny_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute
As far as I know, you need the whole assembly. No way around it.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
Yeh I know it sucks, but I have ABS and paid $400.00 a side. This might be your lucky day I have a pair of non-ABS hubs you can have for $130 + postage.
in good nick. pm me

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Yep, whole assembly. I've been through 3 of them at more than $300 a pop. The whole hub/bearing/ABS sensor pickup is all integrated in the one thing... so no way around it.

SKF I think make the original ones, and they also do the replacements, might be worth calling them up for a price, or finding someone who stocks them. Obviously there are different types for ABS and NON ABS hubs.

Just out of interest, how many km has your car done? I have heard that the bearings are meant to last around 200000km or more.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
PM sent......

My car has done around the 300 THOUSAND K's....................

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, whole assembly. I've been through 3 of them at more than $300 a pop. The whole hub/bearing/ABS sensor pickup is all integrated in the one thing... so no way around it.

SKF I think make the original ones, and they also do the replacements, might be worth calling them up for a price, or finding someone who stocks them. Obviously there are different types for ABS and NON ABS hubs.

Just out of interest, how many km has your car done? I have heard that the bearings are meant to last around 200000km or more.

i have tried an SKF supplier but it seems to be an OEM component, SKF only make em for Holden and parts supply places etc

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The hubs are different also with solid diff or independant - 3 different types in all. You have to be careful diagnosing faults with these hubs apparently as bearing noise can be confused with steel radial vibration or harshness. I thought my passenger side was gone as when I turned right it would moan from the left hand side and I could feel vibrations thru the wheel. Swapped tyres around and it was gone.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Mine just moan a bit all the time in a straight line. Its like there is bad road noise all the time..... The rear wheel bearings have been replaced and my tyres are directional and have plenty of tread. U can hear the noise at about 40 kph.... But i just turn the beats up a bit n u cant hear it...