Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worried about Automatic transmission

P

Phantom

i have recently been told by friends, who heard from a mechanic (or something like that, lol) that because my VR shudders a little during hard acceleration (foot planted) the transmission is on its way out. it isn't much of a shudder, its hard to explain, i was hoping that other VR owners know what i am talking about, i own a 1993 V6 with 180000km

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My VS shudders on hard acceleration and from what I've heard almost all V6 Commodores do. Some say it is caused by wear in the centre propshaft bearing or the UJs or the upper support arm on the diff. Others say it is in them from new and you will never get rid of it whilst other never notice it because they never plant the foot.

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
To be honest, mine doesn't do it. Although my car has had a complete front rebuild (the previous owner had the front swiped by a 4wd) by holden so wether that makes a difference or not is another thing.
I know its a common thing though, some of my mates VR's and VS's have the "problem".

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Our VP used to have this problem, but all it took to fix was a proper trans service

94hsv

i have a vr exe with 370000kms and it dont shake about but my mrs vp does has the drive shaft been changed look at the universial joint too

P

Phantom

thanks for all the responses, so i should get a trans service? how much will a new universal joint cost, is there anything i should do to fix the problem, or just leave it as is?

T

tkaragia

G'day,

When I bought my VR I had the same problem. When I accelerated hard from stop to go I would get a vibration in the steering wheel. Mechanics told me that it is a common fault and is due to the twin tail shaft. They said that if it had a single straight tail shaft it would be ok. I investigated it further and notice that the bushes on the upper and lower control arms on the diff were worn. I got these replaced for $240 including labour and the shuddering is gone. My advice is to check out the bushes first. Go right through the drive train and check from engine mounts to gearbox mount, diff bushes etc.

Good luck