Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing a Fuel Pump

F

fekme

Can someone please give me instructions on replacing a fuel pump on a VR.
Mine went very suddenly yesturday. One minute fine...the next...not go.
Any tips would be helpful as I'm a bit hopeless.
Cheers

midnight.outlaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S series 2
Taken fron Street commodores issue No 91 (November 2004) page 137

1, disconnect the electrical connection and fuel line. ( I think you need an empty fuel tank, maybe, i dunno)

2, remove the 7mm bolts that retain the fuel pump pick up and sender assembly; remember the oreintation of the fuel outlet so it goes back the right way.

3, carefully slip the whole assembly out and replace pump in the same position and reconnect wires and fit fuel filter. (it takes a bit of fiddling around)

4, refitting is as much fun as removing, be careful not to displace the filter while putting it in the tank.

5, put bolts back in and plug it back in.

should take about 1/2 an hour to an hour depending if you have a hoist or not.

This was taken from street commodores where they upgraded the pump to a better one.

V

v6 van man

have you checked the relay and fuse????
ive never seen a fuel pump that suddenly without warning stopped working.

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
no my pump went very suddenly on my vp they dont like been run when you have little fuel like under a quater of a tank cause they burn out my sisters otherhalf has replaced the one in his vr 4 times

F

fekme

Thanks guys, ill give it a go this week hopefully.
Any idea of the cost of a fuel pump and a good place to get them?
I live in Perth

3ohh4_EFI

i just did my fuel pump very easy job
basic steps are
jack the bak of the car up(ramps or wateva)
take off electrics at the fuel pump(located on diff side of teh petrol tank)get a circuit tester to check the circuit works(click iginition to reds and get sum1 under teh car testing it should get power for 2secs then it goes off)
take off the fuel line to the tank(both lines)
take the 7 bolts out around the pump(CAREFUL if u have fuel in the tank they will piss out these holes recommended get a bucket or 2 or 3 or 4 or a many more i had 50litres in it)
pull the pump bit out a few mm then turn it 90' degree and fiddle and try to get it out (need to take off black rubber hose connected to it) this is very fiddly i jacked my car up at the bak even higher to get the diff under the tank enough to fiddle more
take the pump bit out and swap with new one(very straight forward)
renew the gasket put it bak in (rememebr to reconnect the black hose and make sure the fuel guage float is free so it can work)
put bolts bak in wire bak up
also good idea to get a new fuel filter too its above the diff on mine $10 worthit
fire her bak up should run
0422 521 574 ring me after 5pm any day i no it can be hard to get accurate advice i can tell u exactly how to do it better than words, btw my car is a vr series 1 5l
i asked a mechanic how to do it and this is wat i got told and i got a manual for it too very easy new pump cost me $165 from repco and filter was like $10 holden sell the pumps for $180 all 5l items tho
neway thats roughly off the top of my head how to do it

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Id be disconnecting the battery..

3ohh4_EFI

personally i didnt bother as no power is goin to it neway since we took off the power to the pump, but aroundpetty u never no, so take it off then

F

fekme

One thing I have noticed is that if i have someone turn the key at the same time as i give the tank a bang, the car starts up (sometimes). Someone told me that this is a surefire way of telling that the pump is stuffed.
Any ideas on this???

3ohh4_EFI

yeh i got told that to but didnt work
2 ways to do it
bang the tank near the pump n try n start it then
or WHILE trying to start it wack the tank near teh fuel pump.
theres a ball thing in the pump that can clog up, but got told if u get it started again isnt a permanent fix will go bak in, best bet replace the fuel pump neway, not a hard job.