Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS UTE fuel pump prob plz help

Sir VxSs

Its gotta B a GenIII !!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Ss II 6SpD
hey guys my car randomly cuts out maybe twice a day !! maybe not for weeks?? i got a ute so behind my drivers seat theres a whole where i can put my hand through to touch my fuel tank.. i get power wire to the fuel pump i give a little jiggle and bingo shes all good!!! on my second fuel pump now proffesionally installed???? got me stumped!!! changed Plugs , leads , fuel filter , relays.. could the cas be cutting the fuel pump out ??? any help plz??? THanx:bang:

mrgem1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
well if a little jiggle fixes the problem, its obviously a dodgy connection.
Pull the cover off inside the tray and check the plug out.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It could also be the way the new fuel pump was installed - if the fuel return line doesn't go back properly to the the swirl pot inside the tank where the pump sits the pump will run dry momentarily especially with 1/2 a tank or less of fuel when cornering. This is not uncommon and cuts power instantly - when the car slows down the fuel returns to the swirl pot and fills the swirl pot and car will start again.

Dirou

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II "S" ute auto
VSII V6 Ute auto - Have had similar problems - Stalled 3 times in one day, once on the highway at 105 kph. In the process of throwing parts at it I replaced fuel pump (could hear it playing up), platinum plugs, monster leads, coils (MSD.. looks sexy), ignition control unit, body control unit & crank angle sensor. All new & expensive. Didn't think of the fuel filter until recently ($15) Have done 130,000 kms on it ! It is heaps better but still occasionally cuts out. Thinking of replacing the pump again with OEM (noisier & $$$ than fuel miser unit which is quieter) because the fuel gauge cuts in and out. Have rechecked the connections & super tightened gasket as could smell fumes in cabin (FIXED). Now consider getting tank out to be easy, fuel filter is in a stupid location, no wonder I didn't think of it !

I hate intermittent problems !!!

Last edited:

nathanvs98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vs ute
hi i have a 98 vs ute and it surges under load. and misses when i rev it. has a new fuel pump about 15 000kms ago and just put new fuel filter and injector cleaner through and still does it. was wondering if it had happend to anyone else before. and how u fixed this problem?