Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS lock/deadlock problem

Coxy_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VE GTS
Ive been using the deadlock on my VS ever since i found out about it. Its the only reason my car wasnt broken into or stolen 6 months ago. But its been playing up recently and the lock has been really hard to turn. The dead lock has been workin ever since today. i forced it to turn and lock because i was at work and now the deadlocking doesnt work. any ideas on what i have done or broken?! and also anyone know who i can take it to so i can get it looked at and fixed? mechanic? locksmith? i dont really want to take it to holden if i can help it, but want to get the locks fixed as soon as possible just in case!! im worried about leaving it at work and tafe...and anywhere really with dodgy locks.

thanks to anyone who can help!
jon

Skreem

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
The deadlocking of the doors is controlled by a little microswitch clipped to the back of the lock. You may have either broken this or made it fall off which the deadlock won't activate.

Saying that the only problem I have is all of my doors except the drivers deadlock, for some reason the drivers can still be unlocked from the inside and is becoming a pain trying to work out what is wrong with it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
When you deadlock the car (by turning the key in the door anticlockwise then move to horizontal and remove the key) you effectively jam all doorlocks so they cannot be opened even if someone smashes a window and uses the inside handles. It's very effective.

For Coxy_vs, you should pull the door trim off and inspect the deadlock assembly - it's simply a microswitch attached to the key barrel inside the door - visible with a torch. Mine was very stiff so I sprayed it with lanolin spray and that made it a lot smoother. I'll attach a link to a pix of what it looks like - the rusty clip is holding the microswitch against the key barrel. Hope this helps.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...-1997/97027-mirco-switch-central-locking.html

Coxy_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VE GTS
welcome back old school thread!

Funny thing is this is still a bit of a problem. The locks work fine and it does deadlock 99% of the time, but every now and then plays up and doesnt quite behave how its supposed to. After i posted that i got out and went crazy with wd40 in the lock and barrel and its been almost perfect since.

thanks for the link hako! i have seen that micro-switch before, last time i had the door trim off for speakers and to fix a rattling door handle i had a quick look. Im taking apart the car again this weekend (like most weekends for one reason or another) to fix a few little things, ill also check if the switch is working properly, rusted and stuck like yours or just loose. hopefully i can fix this issue once and for all. will let you know how i go...

coxy_vs :thumbsup: