Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brake upgrade

kirks_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
hi guys, was wondering what was needed to upgrade the stock single piston brakes (in the front only) in a series 3 ute to twin piston types from say a vt. do you need different adapter plates for the caliper and different rotors and hubs? on the same note, would it be a similar thing to do it with a vn?

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
just in regards to asking if its the same for the VN, its slightly more involved than doing it to a VR-VS. you just need to change the wheel hubs on the VN-VP to VR-VS ones and then its the same from there onwards, using the adaptor shims and VT calipers and rotors.

kirks_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
so would vt rotors and calipers bolt straight onto a vn?

exellerant

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 manual
i got a vt upgrade for my vr, disks , calipers , the only thing i van say is you might need a bigger master cylinder as you have more fluid to build pressure in, its not a big thing but if i notice on mine if you really want to step on the brakes for sliding you need to build the pressure up with a little pump first with the throttle on and then the brakes really hook in

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
i got a vt upgrade for my vr, disks , calipers , the only thing i van say is you might need a bigger master cylinder as you have more fluid to build pressure in, its not a big thing but if i notice on mine if you really want to step on the brakes for sliding you need to build the pressure up with a little pump first with the throttle on and then the brakes really hook in

You may need to bleed the brakes again. I run the VT upgrade and only a 15/16 master cylinder and I have no problems with braking.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice

i have helped with a aftermarket brake kits and i know that 1 particular brand was hard to bleed.
it wasnt untill we swaped the side of callipers to place the bleed nipple on top............ (oppiset to what they said) that the brakes worked out UNREAL..

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
i have helped with a aftermarket brake kits and i know that 1 particular brand was hard to bleed.
it wasnt untill we swaped the side of callipers to place the bleed nipple on top............ (oppiset to what they said) that the brakes worked out UNREAL..

I would agree with that. I have had to bleed some notoriously difficult clutches in trucks, and we found that getting the nipple to the top worked wonders.