Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing fuel pump in a VR

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
Ok, I've already found this thread: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=5836

But it didn't quite cover everything. Now, is the fuel pump behind the rear right wheel, above the petrol tank? That's about the only thing I could find. If it is, then does it mean you have to remove the tank? Or is there a simpler way?

Any pics would be most helpful as well.

Cheers in advance

-Luke

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
The fuel pump is located within the petrol tank. On the front of the tank (facing the front of the car) you will see I think it's around the 6 - 8 10mm bolts or thereabouts holding the fuel pump in place.

It's awkward but you can get away with not removing the fuel tank although does help if you can lower it slightly.

I'm not sure whether I mentioned it in the how-to but drain the tank as low as possible otherwise it will make a huge mess as you could imagine.

If you're still unclear of it's location I should be able to take photo of it's exact location if you wish.

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the quick reply.

Photo's would be great if they aren't too much hassle. Holden are selling new pumps for $180, so I thought it would be better to fit it myself, rather than fork out $400 to the only mechanic I trust with my car.

- Luke

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah, never mind mate, I found it. Cheers for your help.

U

undertaker07

the fuel pump is in the tank on the right hand side , drain the entire tank but is easier if you have a hoist total cost about $150

S

sk1p

mwuahaha i can get a fuel pump for 100 bucks :) hehe, gl anyway

xcop

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr x cop
my vr has a full tank of fuel and the fuel pump is stuffed! what is the easiest to drain the tank?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. 6 YEAR thread dig:balloons:

But yes to answer to ur question is to simply put a large bowl under the fuel tank and just start undoing some bolts on the fuel pump hole. Least time wasting and it gets you started on the job. Dont forget a new gasket before you start the job.

Nenita

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
I bought a 1994 Vr Commodore just recently, a gas tank has been put into the car but as soon as we drove it home it was empty. The car won't start and the ex owner disconnected the fuel pump. I have no idea how to gain access to the fuel tank to get to the fuel pump. Will jacks give enough height to do this properly because the fuel tank might (or might not) need to be drained? Is it worth paying the money for a mechanic to do this job? Is the fuel tank located on the drivers seat side or the passenger side? I don't want to replace anything I just want to connect the pump, so is it just one thing I'd need to connect or will I find a whole heap of stuff that needs connecting? I know very little about cars and this is my first one so I want to do all of this right.
If someone could give me some answers that'd be great.