Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Pressure Regulator - Poor fuel consumtion

Chuckster

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s pack v6 ute
Hi all,

I was doing some checks today as I am having problems with poor fuel consumption and I found that the vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator was disconnected.

Do you think I may have found the culprit.

Thanks for any input

VS S Pack Ute V6

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It wouldn't help. The vacuum line pulls the regulator diaphragm open the minute you back off so any excess pressure in the rail is bled back to the tank. With the vacuum line disconnected, the regulator will still function but won't release all the pressure, so some extra fuel will be pushed through the injectors.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
^^ what NAAF said :D

jonnydico

Reaction score
It wouldn't help. The vacuum line pulls the regulator diaphragm open the minute you back off so any excess pressure in the rail is bled back to the tank. With the vacuum line disconnected, the regulator will still function but won't release all the pressure, so some extra fuel will be pushed through the injectors.

when I take the vaccuum off the regulator, the car seems to run better and the sporatic missing seems to disapear! is this a stuffed regulator you wreckin? also sometimes stalls when moving P to D

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Sounds like a vacuum leak and by pulling the hose off the regulator you are richening (correcting) the mixtures.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Or you have a dicky injector, the extra fuel pressure created by disconnecting the line would make the injector function better. Only at idle though, as the revs increase, the vacuum decreases so the fuel pressure increases also. It is a common diagnostic tool, clamp the return line off or disconnect the vacuum line to see if the engine idles better, this points to a dicky injector.