Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tranny revs in 1st gear but barely moves

johnnyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF V6 Falcon
Hi Guys,

I've noticed over the last couple of months, if I'm taking off and the tranny (auto) is cold, and revving at around over 2,000 the car barely moves (just revvs). I basically need to keep it under around 1500rpm, then until it moves into 2nd gear, I can rev it to about 2000+ no problems.

Doesn't happen when the transmission is warm however, only cold. I haven't had the tranny slip, etc in the past.

Any ideas?

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
my vl was similiar! it would go no where when cold in the morning but after a few minutes she would warm up and be fine, according to the gear box place i took it to (a reputable place) the bands have had it and an over haul was in order! so i would say your probably in the same boat? might sound dumb but i take it you have checked the fluid levels? also maybe get the shifter hydralic valve checked out?

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
yea mine started doing that in reverse your bands are rooted

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
Hi Guys,

I've noticed over the last couple of months, if I'm taking off and the tranny (auto) is cold, and revving at around over 2,000 the car barely moves (just revvs). I basically need to keep it under around 1500rpm, then until it moves into 2nd gear, I can rev it to about 2000+ no problems.

Doesn't happen when the transmission is warm however, only cold. I haven't had the tranny slip, etc in the past.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem:cry:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Unfortunately it looks like a few people are up for reconditioned transmissions:supersad:
Unless you have a mate in the auto trans business the options are either a reco unit fitted for $1000 to $1800 or one from the wreckers.
Last stand options (apart from checking fluid level with fingers crossed) is to add a reconditioner - Lucas or similar......may keep it alive till after Xmas.

System

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ commodore exec
u'd be walkin on a tight rope if u opt for a second hand one- it might have a similar, or even worse problem with it, u may as well save up for a recon one, it'll last alot longer then ur typical scond hand-thrashed trans :D

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
When was it last serviced??

johnnyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF V6 Falcon
I was giving her a wash the other day, and checked the tranny fluid level. It was on the lower end of 'normal.' I topped up a little bit, and since its been ok :)
I've had the tranny serviced little over a year ago, probably due for another one.

I guess my seals must be leaking.

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
first things first, check the fluid level in it, start the car, get it warm, then with engine running in park, check it on the dipstick, should be in the hot range, if not, top it up, if it is, is it red, or black, if it is black, then you most likely need a newy, if it seems to take a long time to go into gear when you start it up, then that is burnt clutches in it, if you have no drive at all, then you have definately gotten the most outta it, but in that case, you can usualy still just feel it go into gear, but not enough clutches, or oil pressure to engage fully, which is my last piece of advise, if oil is red and all there, then your most likely problem is a lack of oil pressure, which could be (not usualy tho) a blocked cooler line, so you could try flushing the cooler lines, if that dont help, then it would be the pump in the transmission, or torque converter, hope i have been some help

johnnyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF V6 Falcon
first things first, check the fluid level in it, start the car, get it warm, then with engine running in park, check it on the dipstick, should be in the hot range, if not, top it up, if it is, is it red, or black, if it is black, then you most likely need a newy, if it seems to take a long time to go into gear when you start it up, then that is burnt clutches in it, if you have no drive at all, then you have definately gotten the most outta it, but in that case, you can usualy still just feel it go into gear, but not enough clutches, or oil pressure to engage fully, which is my last piece of advise, if oil is red and all there, then your most likely problem is a lack of oil pressure, which could be (not usualy tho) a blocked cooler line, so you could try flushing the cooler lines, if that dont help, then it would be the pump in the transmission, or torque converter, hope i have been some help

Awesome man thanks for the advice :thumbsup: