Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to change co2 sensor

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
hey guys got a VR here thinking about changing my oxygen sensor sensor i dont think its faulty but they have prob havent been changed in about 100,000 kms so i thought it might be best 2 do so.but just wondering where are they and how do u change it? i'm doing this for better fuel econ do u think i shuld change my MAF sensors while i'm there? if so how do u change them?

thanks guys

Last edited:

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
hey guys got a VR here thinking about changing my C02 sensor i dont think its faulty but they have prob havent been changed in about 100,000 kms so i thought it might be best 2 do so.but just wondering where are they and how do u change it? i'm doing this for better fuel econ do u think i shuld change my MAF sensors while i'm there? if so how do u change them?

thanks guys

Im assuming that you are talking about the Oxygen Sensor because I have never heard of a Carbon Dioxide Sensor.

The oxygen sensor is attached to the exhaust at the front of the car just before the Catalytic Converter (See Picture). Before you begin to remove the Oxygen Sensor remove the negative power cable from the battery. To get to the Oxygen sensor you will need to jack the front of the car up, make sure you secure the car on jackstands. Now you can disconnect the wiring from the Oxygen Sensor and unscrew the Oxygen sensor. To reinstall the new sensor screw it into the connection from which you unscrewed the old one and tighten it. Now you can reconnect the wiring and lower the car. Dont forget to reconnect the negative battery cable. If you need a picture of the Oxygen Sensor I can take one for you tomorrow.

You have a VR so your car is not fitted with a MAF Sensor

Last edited:

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
yeah mate a pic would be good....lol and yeah i do mean oxygen sensor
thanks

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
I was flicking through one of my workshop manuals and I came across this diagram. It will be better than any picture I could take at showing where the Oxygen Sensor is.

o2.jpg

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
I had to get the bolt cutters on the end of it and wrench it so I could get my only socket over it lol. Then used my leg to loosen it with the extension on the end of the ratchet. After spraying a whole can of CRC a day prior, I got the mongrel. Just dont pull a hamstring like I almost did...lol

Mindyou it would be less stress just getting a 1/2'' open ender around it...

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Mine is an ass to take out!!! Especially after it cools down.

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
thank's 4 the help guy's . Just wondering if it does not seem to be playing up. Although i'm not exactly getting the best mileage is it worth replacing? Would i see any improvement?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Ive been told that you should run the car for a little to get it warm before trying to remove the O2 sensor to reduce the risk of damaging the threads. Meant to make it a bit easier to remove too, but its always going to be a pain to get off. Fuel improvement, well some people will say yes - and that is because they have replaced it and had results - but it depends on your current sensors condition. Theres not a really good test that you can do to check its condition. I would think the sensor is fairly rough in its workings. It only needs to work over a very limited range and has to work in some pretty hot conditions, so its not a really super precise sensor to begin with anyway. But if you have the cash and your happy to replace it, it cant hurt. Just remember though, the cost of the sensor would easily fill your tank, so at the end of the day if you are trying to save $ its probably more cost effective just to put the money towards the fuel, especially if you dont plan on keeping the car for longer than a few years.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Yeah hell of allot easier get out when its not stone cold. I got mine out when it was warm not hot, otherwise have a cool pack ready on the go. lol.
Yeah if it's got white deposits on the end of the sensor, then its a good idea to replace it.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Yeah hell of allot easier get out when its not stone cold.

It sure is. I probably should have mentioned it in my earlier post but I forgot :(