Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR/VS key barrel sticking

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Recently the ignition key barrel on my '93 VR exec has begun sticking when you try and turn the key - at about the same time it also started happening on my mums '96 VS exec wagon. when you put the key in it simply wont torn, you have to wiggle it a bit to get it to work. I had a talk to one of the mechanics at my local holden dealership and he said that its been happening on a lot of them in the past few months (humidity maybe?) and that to fix it they just pull the key barrel apart and lubricate it with a bit of powdered graphite.

Has anyone else had these issues? Any idea what could be causing it?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You will need a new barrel. Replace it before it jams completely. The little tab on the end of the barrel breaks and starts to jam the barrel. Also the tumblers in the barrel are only made of brass, so they wear out too.

To get the barrel out, take the plastic shroud off the column, on the side of the barrel assembly is a hole, turn the key to the "ON" position and insert a paper clip or a pin of some sort into that hole. The barrel will then slide out.

With a new barrel you will get a heap of new tumblers, they are numbered. Put them in the new barrel in the same order that they in the old barrel. You could also take your old barrel and the new one to a locksmith for them to set it up, but it's not tat hard to do it yourself. Make sure you use DryLube on the new tumblers when assembling the barrel.

helix41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR executive wagon
tumblers

I would like to know exactly how ya get the tumblers out ?:thumbsup:
I have just replaced my barrel and want to keep the same key, I can't figure how to get the main center out to get at the tumblers :bang:
Any help appreciated :yeah:

Helix 41

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
I have just replaced my barrel and want to keep the same key, I can't figure how to get the main center out to get at the tumblers :bang:

Helix 41

TURN THE KEY TO THE ON POSITION and locate a small hole on the barrel housing, you need a paper clip or small wire etc.. to stick in the hole and push then pull the barrel out with the key still in it ( and still in the on position)

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS

Helix 41
Your lucky My hole barrel craped it and I had to cut off my housing using a angle grinder to go through the housing and through the sheer bolt.
If you can`t find the small hole and no-one here can tell U ( unlikly) exactly were to find it on the housing ask you local holden head mechanic/spare parts manager.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The small hole is on the outside of the barrel about 1/2 way down. Once the plastic shroud is off, get down and look up at the side of the barrel, you can't miss it.

controlled chaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
i recommend u change the barrel NOW, mine jammed in the lock postion when it was in a car park now i have a large bill to fix and no steering lock and no ignition, but still starts with out key for some reason

VR_SeriesII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Series II
i recommend u change the barrel NOW, mine jammed in the lock postion when it was in a car park now i have a large bill to fix and no steering lock and no ignition, but still starts with out key for some reason

This just happened to ours. How do you get the ignition off if it as described above?

The key won't move to the on position.

Also, anyone know how we can get the car started temporarily to move it into the garage? Live on steep hill so pushing is out.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
This just happened to ours. How do you get the ignition off if it as described above?

The key won't move to the on position.

Also, anyone know how we can get the car started temporarily to move it into the garage? Live on steep hill so pushing is out.

Yer its a pain alright, I`m guessing you parked outside your house. Before I begin have you tried CRC WD40 (with the straw) and sprayed in the barrel and then tryed the key again also wrigge the key as you slightly pull it out out of the barrel a few mm. ok um moving the car with no key, when this happened to me I promtly went through the steps above ( to no avail ) and already had it in the shed so it was ok but I did notice when you pull the ignition switch ( black electrical thing that attachs to the end of the barrel "on the left hand side of the wheel" to send the electrial signal to turn on the car ) is turned on by a flat bit of metal that comes out of the barrel so maybe you could rub your immobiliser nub on the imbobiliser ring and use a screwdriver to turn this. Though it does make it easy to steal so I am doughtful but curious to wheather this will work.
I`ve got more if that does not work for you, as I know how to take off the housing etc.. and lucky for you I did it just last month. so post back and if any of the above don`t work I`ll pull out the big guns. :shooting:

Last edited:

VR_SeriesII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Series II
Will gove that a go, thanks mate

First will try the WD40

I was looking at that end of the ignition and did a bit of reading on the net about it here

How To Hot-Wire a Car | eHow.com

Does anyone know if this works on a VR? Also, do you need to disengage the imobliser as it is already unplugged?