Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam angle sensor.

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
hey well really at the moment my car is running but it does not run very well
so the question is
i have the plug on the loom for the cam angle sensor but there is no connector on the engine. when i bought the car i was informed that the engine had been changed with another one and im guessing that it was not the exact same engine.
this leads me to the problem

the car changes itself to limp home mode because it is not getting the signal from the cam angle sensor. and thus runs rough chew fuel etc.
the only way i can think of fixing this problem may be to install a computer that doesnt run with a cam angle sensor. does anyone else have any ideas or know what model i would be looking at

just so you know its a 94 vr berlina auto
thanks alot.
any help will be appreciated,

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I've read somewhere that if the cam angle sensor is unserviceable the ECU runs on a default figure....and not limp home mode and the result is a slight increase in fuel consumption. Maybe the car is going into LHM for some other reason.

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
in limp home mode will i get like a miss every 3 cycles when idling and also i have checked the computer for codes and i get a code 48 cam angle sensor-missing or intermittent.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
In LHM the main effect will be transmission related with only 2nd and 3rd gear being available....this is so that if something is wrong then not too much strain will be put on the car.
So...I'd say you're not in LHM and the miss every 3 cycles is due to the computer or ECU not being told by the cam angle sensor when to fire the injectors so it fires the injectors in a kind of 'backup' method.
What I'd do is write down the engine number, go to Holden and find what model the engine is from and then get a ECU from a wrecker....dunno the price but they rarely fail so should not be big dollars....or cheaper may be Ebay or a private person wrecking their car. But until you get the correct ECU you will have this problem. There may also be another problem as the VS (not sure about early VR) trans is also controlled by the ECU
but hopefully that doesn't apply to you.
Maybe post the number to this forum and someone can identify it.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
In LHM the main effect will be transmission related with only 2nd and 3rd gear being available....this is so that if something is wrong then not too much strain will be put on the car.
So...I'd say you're not in LHM and the miss every 3 cycles is due to the computer or ECU not being told by the cam angle sensor when to fire the injectors so it fires the injectors in a kind of 'backup' method.
What I'd do is write down the engine number, go to Holden and find what model the engine is from and then get a ECU from a wrecker....dunno the price but they rarely fail so should not be big dollars....or cheaper may be Ebay or a private person wrecking their car. But until you get the correct ECU you will have this problem. There may also be another problem as the VS (not sure about early VR) trans is also controlled by the ECU
but hopefully that doesn't apply to you.
Maybe post the number to this forum and someone can identify it.

VR also run electronic auto. Sounds possible someone has replaced the motor with something pre-vr (ie. no cam angle sensor) with the original loom and ECU.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Where is the thermostat on your engine?

aZk.

Edit: Ok, you have a SII engine, still could be from a VN or VP... Check engine serial with holden.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
im unsure of what you mean.have a look in the vr/vs my ride section and youc an see the pictures. there are some of the engine bay if this helps.

I think Azkwazere has looked at your engine and figured its a VN-VP series 2
which means that to run things properly you will need a ECU from a VN-VP auto.....but that throws another spanner in as your car should have a 4L60E transmission which is controlled by the ECU and this ECU must have the Cam Angle Sensor input.
So.....things that I'd do would be first check what transmission you have - it should have a ident on the bellhousing viewable from the passenger side. The first letter of the ID should be 4 (if yours is 94 build) which means it should be a 4L60E. But if its an earlier date then the trans is probably a 4L60 (not electronically controlled)
So - if the trans is 4L60E then fitting a VN-VP ECU will make the engine run OK but the trans will not operate correctly as it needs the VR ECU.
This is getting horribly complicated!
How about looking where the cam angle sensor goes - does it have a blanking plate where you could fit one?....I've heard that the front covers can be swapped so maybe thats another option.
But really the first thing is to establish exactly what you have - engine/trans/ECU.

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
thanks hako. i will go out and find out what i have hell i might even give the guy i bought it off a call.
and see if he knows anything
should i call holden and find out what engine number it is.
i will pull off the left kick panel and tell you what ecu it is?
im not sure where i would find the trans info thanks for all your help guys