Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v8 conversion questions

dobz

Reaction score
ok i guess its al already been posted but cant find threads with definite answers so ere it goes

gearbox ucked up so i too it to a familly friend and that was 2200 for full rebuild, while there i saw a v8 vp. its rear ended the guy bought it and cant be fuuckked fixing it go out of a joke he said i can have it for 200 so i lowered my **** fund this weekend and got the vp.

will the kframe fit and will the motor just go in, i got a v6 vs, i got vt clubby brakes, i need the fron suspension, i got an lsd rebuilt can i use it and those the cluster need to be changed and if there is anything elese or will all the cooling and gearbox mounts and all that **** bolt in

cheers

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
u wont pass rego because the engine is older then your car is ...

but it will all fit

PREDATR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 355 Turbo, VN Calais 5L, VE SII SV6 Wag, Mirage
VP K Frame won't go into a VS. well actually it will but u need to use VS control arms / hubs / struts / brakes.

it will pass rego the engine is not older than the car, VN-VS 304 are all the same!

dobz

Reaction score
yeah i heard bout the arms and hubs, good to know itll all fit im bringing it home in a few days so well see soon. as for the rego thats no worries there is a lil town forgot the name 210k's out f pperth no **** u can pass a barina with a ls1 if you can fit it in there

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
You will also need to either get a V8 cluster or modify yours the main mods are to the tacho and temp gauge. You will need the front suspension, radiator, also need to use the Air con main hose that goes over the brake cylinder. Theres other minor things but its a pretty good conversion if you have what your starting with. Dont cut the fuel regs as there dear as. You might have to use the VS gearbox mounts depends. You might have to also get a V8 chip for the VS as the computers are different and the VS has the security stuff would PM Dr Bob on this one. The ECU on the VS V6 and the V8 are the same just different chips.

Mr Squiggle

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rocket
u wont pass rego because the engine is older then your car is ...

but it will all fit

This is totaly untrue and I for one am tired of it being spread around, it will pass because the VN 5 litre and VS both passed the same emssions test. 100%

aussiesport

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp wagger
thats wierd cos ive heard the same thing from the dept of trans port in qld . if the engine number comes up as being from an older car it wont pass !? unless it runs on gas only !?

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
A mates, mate put a VN 304 into his VS passed it's slip fine, but when he went to the RTA with the new engine number to be put on the current papers all hell broke loose he was told to put the engine in that came with the car or a newer replacement. They would not allow him to register it on the RTA end.