Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 VS turns over but wont start

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
ok my mates having some troubles with his VS, odd problem.

at first we thought it was starter motor cause car wouldnt turn over at all, hit the starter motor and it started, so we replaced starter motor and still wont kick, even when tapping it, checked all relays and fuses everything ok.

during all this remote central locking was not working, then all of a sudden remote locking worked, then car would turn over, but it wont start.

every time we try to turn the car over you need to hit the unlock button on the remote to make it turn over but it doesnt start, there is fuel, have check and there is plenty of spark, fuel pump is working (can hear it in boot) im lost as to what the problem could be.

my mate hasnt got the money to see a mechanic for like another week, hoping someone could suggest something we could check.

cheers in advance.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Check error codes (How to in the how to section). Check for a pulse at the injectors using a multimeter or test light. Check the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose (coming of the fuel pressure regulator) for fuel (shouldnt be fuel). Wouldnt happen to be a member of RACQ or similar?

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R
If he has a spare key, try that. They will turn over with a buggered key but wont start.

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
is there a how to for checking the pulse at the enjector?

unfortunatly dont have a spare key, i was suspecting the key due to the central locking not working for a bit.

not a member of RACQ/NRMA unfortunatly :(

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Could be your alternator dude worn out,alarm issue,ignition module,plugs,battery,relay,fuse.

IF your alternator is work,could be burning out the wiring to it or the regulator.

Even so maybe the ECU couldn't be firing the coil's at the correct time and maybe A sensor or 2 could be stuffed.

put ur meter accross battery and check voltage and see how much the alternator is drawing?

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
I had very similar problem with my VS. Put new starter in, new battery, got new done for it. Still would not go.

During the whole time it would not start the central locking would not unlock all doors. Alos noticed the flashing light for the secuity system was not flashing which i thought was wierd.

Turned out after taking it to holden to be the body control module. Ne wone installed and never had a problem since. And the whole time it would not start no codes got logged.

Not saying this is your problem but could be a possibility

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
when i noticed the central locking issue i instantly thought the body control module (thats the one under the drivers seat that controls electronics yeah?)

i took a lead of the plug to check for spark and there is spark there, but the engine doesnt even try to fire, like theres no fuel even going in, if it was an irregular spark id assume it would atleast try to kick.

i should check for engine codes, cause after the first time it wouldnt start the engine light was on so it will have logged a problem in there, maybe that can help.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
sounds allot like that key is to blame.

first thing you could try is bending the tabs around the ignition barrel up a little so they make contact with the key better (thank you for that info NOTANABBAFAN)

secondly the battery in it could be dying, so pull it appart and put a new one in (requires a soldering iron and a little skill)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
when i noticed the central locking issue i instantly thought the body control module (thats the one under the drivers seat that controls electronics yeah?)

i took a lead of the plug to check for spark and there is spark there, but the engine doesnt even try to fire, like theres no fuel even going in, if it was an irregular spark id assume it would atleast try to kick.

i should check for engine codes, cause after the first time it wouldnt start the engine light was on so it will have logged a problem in there, maybe that can help.

The box under the drivers seat is the Airbag module!

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
I know when my control module went ( as i was saying above) i too had spark as that was first thing i checked. Nothing added up when i was trying o fix mine. Ended up giving in to it and towing it too holden for them to work out.

that was when they told me it was body control module. They did tell me if the central locking was playing up and the secuirty light was not flashing then that is the guide they use for looking at problem being control module.