Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad fuel economy, strong fuel smell?

SKNOT9

All hope is gone
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II Acclaim
Hi there. i just bought a vs commodore v6 auto and i am getting shocking fuel economy, getting about 300km to a full tank light country driving. and everytime i leave the car i can smell a strong fuel smell. does anybody know of any common issues where this happens? any help would be greatly appreciated. i just had it serviced too so this is unusual.

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
leaking fuel tank/line

when the car is running does the exhaust smell like fuel? or emit dark gasses?

SKNOT9

All hope is gone
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II Acclaim
i have checked and it doesnt seem to be leaking. not sure if the exhaust smells, it doesnt blow any smoke.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Try to narrow down the fuel smell. Is it closer to the engine or the fuel tank?

eddy6_9 I just noticed that you also posted another post saying that the fuel bowser kept clicking off on you. I think this problem and the bowser problem may be related. Maybe there is something stuck in the filler neck of the fuel tank? Or vapour return hoses that sit around the fuel tank.

Remove the drivers side rear wheel and the panel that sits behind this wheel near the fuel tank. You will see the big filler neck of the fuel tank and a heap of little hoses around it. It is not uncommon, given the age of these fragile hoses, that they have fallen apart. My need to drop the fuel tank and replace all of these small hoses.