Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS statesman and intermittent ignition problems

robbiep

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8L Statesman A4
First off, I have a VS statesman that has just (1-2 months ago) been fitted with a dual fuel gas system. Although recently the past 2 weeks, the car has been running very strange in terms of the car was running a bit rough when I noticed when I was driving and the revs would fluctuate sometimes. This happened when running on gas and I was at a standstill and just took my foot off the brake, then the revs stop fluctuating. (Although I’m not sure if that would have anything to do with the current problem but I thought I might put it in just in case anyway).

After a day or two of not driving the car. I tried to start the car (on petrol), it and it would kick, but it just wouldn't start, all that happened when I turned the key to the ignition point, was I would hear the fuel pump going, and then the thermo fan would turn on. Then I try to start it, and it will just keep kicking but it just wouldn’t start. I thought it would have been a lack of battery power problem, but I checked it but it was almost at full charge, and I used a multimeter to check the alternator (when the car worked) and that was also fine.

Anyway I called up racv and a guy came down. He checked for spark, ignition pulse, tried a jump start and the usual ignition system test. In which he told me, everything is working fine, and it should start. But yet he couldn’t get it to start. Then he tried to get the error codes by bridging the two points in the ecu diagnostic port. This did not work, and he told me that he thinks it’s stuck in ‘limp home mode’ and to go see my mechanic to check the error codes since he did not have the correct tools. So I called the two truck took it down to my mechanic, he plugged in his large diagnostic tool and tried to get some error codes but it wouldn’t connect to the device. So he said to leave it here and he’ll work it out and give me a call tomorrow.
The very next morning he calls me up, and tells me he got it working. I asked how he managed to get it work, and he just told me he got in the car in the morning, turned the key and it started. And he managed to clear the error codes and drive it around for 30 mins without any problems (on petrol). So I went and picked it up and he didn’t charge me. And I’ve been driving it for about a week now without any problems.

And just last night I went for a drive (on gas), I just got out of my street, and on the second turn I realised I had my foot down to the floor and it wouldn’t rev higher than 2k revs, aka ‘limp home mode’ in which I promptly switched to petrol and instantly managed to get out of limp home mode. So today in the morning, I tried to turn on the car. And it is doing the same thing to me again (trying to start on petrol), it kicks, but it just won’t start and the thermo fan is turning when I try to start the car?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :bow: And sorry for the big essay.:whistling lol

robbiep

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8L Statesman A4
*bump*
I really need the help before i go back to school and need the car.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
if it only happens when you switch to gas, i would go back to the place that fitted the gas system.

robbiep

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8L Statesman A4
if it only happens when you switch to gas, i would go back to the place that fitted the gas system.
Sounds like a good idea, i just might take it back see if they can see what's wrong with it.