Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who has done the VT brake upbrade?

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
I'm after anyone who has converted their VR/VS brakes to the VT spec calipers and rotors and any opinions on the upgrade.
The rotors are only like 1cm bigger than the VS rotors but I guess the main advantage is the twin pistons. Costs around $600 to do.

Do youz think the conversion is worth doing or would you reconmend upgrading to something ever bigger than the VT brakes? Was there much of an improvement in stopping?

XLR8ing

VS Acclaim
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I own a VS and every now and then i get to drive my old lady's VX.
The difference in braking is massive. The VX just seems to slow down instantly when i put my foot on the brake as opposed to my VS. I think the upgrade would be well worth it if u can afford it. It's certainly something i wanna do to my car. I wouldn't bother with bigger than VT brakes for street driving.

Last edited:

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Do a search instead of starting another VT brake thread,there are dozens of threads just like this.
Besides the VT rotors being 9mm bigger in diameter they are also 6mm thicker, 298x28 v 289x22mm.
If you can pick up a HSV front package VR/S or VT/Z these are definately better in both application and pedal feel.
Pedal feel is the biggest failing with the VT upgrade due to the large pistons used in the std VT caliper.

vsiicalais

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm
i have done a how to for this and i beleive it is the best money i ever spent on my car, the stoppign power is awesome and the brakes do not heat up anywhere near as quick as standards. if you want to look at the how to there should be a link in my signature

DANVSUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
i managed to get some VT HSV brakes.. almost brand new rotors, new bendix ultimate pads...
bought them of a mate who had them on his vs that he was planing to sell, so we just did a comlete swap..
they work preaty well, they pull up better under load..
but the pedal feel is different, its a little spongey compared to the stocko ones, and you have to push the pedal in a little more.. its not that bad, just some people dont like it.
but if you were to upgrade to a VT-VX master cyl. as well, im guessing that would soon fix that.
and also they look awsomeeeeeeee because of the size difference from stock..
(another thing to watch out for, i dont think you can put stock 15'' rims back on, bacause of clearance issues.. not sure if its just HSV calipers, or all VT-VX.... someone correct me of im wrong.. but just something to check if you want stock rims)

Last edited:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the VT brake upgrade is definately worth it, the stock VS brakes are crap at best. biggest difference i noticed is in that last few seconds of braking (heavy braking im talking about), instead of taking forever to pull up, almost feeling like your skidding along, the VT brakes just stop you straight away.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i picked up a full set of VS GTS brakes about a month ago, still yet to install em, need to set aside a day off work so i can get the abs bleed properly.
HSV didnt change the booster or master cylinder, if you can find a set u'll be laughin :D

i'll let you know when i get em on, im just worried that my current 16s wont fit over the GTS brakes.. some 16s fit and some dont, so im definately goin to need a bigger spare.. turning a relativily cheapish install into an expensive one.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I've just picked up a set of VT calipers, master cylinder and vacuum booster for $0 :)

Have to buy rotors, adaptors yet, but I got it quite cheap!

Does anyone know if the shim adaptors are technically legal? Was considering going the conversion hubs instead which negates the need for the adaptors... but not sure.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
u can get the hybrid type vt rotors that have the vs hub size, negating the use of shims for the same price (if not cheaper). littlegeorgry01 swears by them too :p

mate for piece of mind that ur braking system is all in A1 condition, pay the $30 and whack on the shims :thumbsup:

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Yep, there are 3 options.

1. Get the rotors designed for the VR hub... DBA 040B.
2. Get the shims
3. Get the hubs which suit the VT rotor.

I'm not keeping the VR rotors don't worry. My question is are the shims actually legal?