Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

trouble putting brake calipers back on

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
hi guys i own a 97 vs v6 sedan with standard brakes i was just out changing the pads as ive done a few times but this time when i pushed the piston in popped the new pads in the caliper and went to bolt it back up to the caliper mounts it wont fit on its like the peice of the caliper that sits in place with the 2 guided pin things isnt out or in far enough as a peice of the caliper hits on the disc when i go to line up the 2 bolt holes also from memory the 2 pieces of the brake caliper should slide a bit mine is like siezed or sumthin which might xplain why the pad wore prematuley and gauged the old rotor a bit anyway is annoying any help would b good thanks

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
you should alwaye re-lubricate the guide pins with a rubber based grease every time you have the caliper off of the disc.

this may simply be your problem.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Pull the caliper apart at the pins, clean them up and regrease them. It should then slide easily and you will be able to align the caliper correctly.

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
thanks for the replys guys do i just pull the calliper apart or do i undo the 2 bolts where the 2 guide pins r ? thanks

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
You can leave the bolts in place and slide the caliper out. You should clean the old grease out of the holes (as much as is possible) before regreasing too.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If it is tight to get apart, give it a tap with a hammer. Spray some degreaser or CRC even into the hole and wrap a bit of rag around a screwdriver to clean the hole out.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
most supercheaps sell that calliper slide grease in a sachet from Permatex for $2 and it works good.
Also make sure your piston is pushed into the calliper far enough or the new thicker pad will hit the disc.