Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drain Engine Coolant For Flush/refill

Fatboy

Reaction score
I'm looking to do my own flush and refill of my engine coolant for mr V6 VR Commodore. I can get the fluid out of the hoses and radiator, but nothing beyond the thermostat ie. nothing in the actual engine.

The manual (edit: The Gregory's manual) says to remove the drain plus down the side of the cylinder block, which are too bloody hard to get at (especially the passenger side one).

Does anybody know how to get the rest of the coolant out easily?
Thanks in advance..

FB

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Well this might sound dodgy, but run your engine without any coolant for about 1 minute.
This will open the thermostat (water will start to come out) and then put your hose up against the connection and keep pumping water through till it comes out clear at the end of the other pipe.
Make sure that if you don't purge it properly, that you let the car run for about 5 mins with the cap off the radioator and off the refill bottle.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Hey Chief!
I just did my VS V6, n i went down to the local radiator place and spoke 2 them about it. all of them recommended that i drop the bottom hose, this will drain all but about 3 litres of the coolant out. he said to get the rest out, disconnect the top hose and then stick the hose into it until all the water coming out of the bottom hose is clear. then stick the hose into the bottom of the radiator until the water coming out of the top hose is clear. btw, i forgot to mention that you need a concentrated coolant mixture, none of the premixed stuff. he said then add 6 litres of coolant, and then add another 3 litres of water. this gives us the 12 litres required, and the 50:50 mixture required. 3 litres of water, plus the 3 that are already in the engine, plus the 6 litres of concentrated cooland = 12 litres!
just make sure u run the engine with the heater on full tilt until the thermostat opens, and just keep an eye on the temp gauge for the next week or so just to make sure that everything is normal )
hope this helps!

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
just dont be silly, when you refill, make sure the engine is cold, dont wanna be putting cold water on a hot peice of metal, im sure you will remember back tot he day's of school science about what happens to a hot item which is touching a cold substance?

cheers
garth

Fatboy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips, I basically did what you said Chridda, and so far so good. Thanks a heap

And thanks for the heads up Garth!

FB