Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery light & Check Engine light

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
So the wife gets home form work today and says the Battery light is on on her car.
So we go out for tea, and on the way home the check engine light comes on, and soon after the car loses a lot of power. (Barley able to get car into driveway). And lights go dim. Stereo loses power.
I'm hoping it's something simple like the alternator, but thought i'd check here for second opinions first before i replace something that doesn't need it lol..
VS Series II
Thanks for your help..

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds like the battery and/or the alternator failing to keep the electrical power up. First check how old your battery is - if over 2 years replace, then start the engine and measure the volt across the terminals when at about 1000rpm - if under 13V then its possible the brushes in the alt are gone. This can cost as little as $50 if you do it yourself.
Commodores need full electrical power and anything under 12 volts cuts the engine generally.

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
Markings on battery are 03E6, so i'm guessing made in 2006?
But if alternator was ok then battery wouldn't make much difference, as alternator would be supplying the current?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
In theory yes, as long as the battery is not shorting internally which is very rare...so that leaves the alternator which you can easily check with an multimeter....or a rough check is to turn every electrical appliance on and see if the headlights increase in brilliance when you rev to about 2500rpm. I forgot to add check the battery terminals.....also the heavy cable that bolts to the rear of the alternator - they have a habit of burning thru from fatigue....give it a good wobble (disconnect battery first).

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
Yeah i was just reading the thread on that issue. :)
will check it tomorrow morning, then head to shops to buy a multimeter.
Cheers

love the general

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute daily hj gts project
not something simple like a loose terminal i made that dumb mistake a few days ago only hand tghtened it an forgot to do it up tight my car was really sluggish then just died at an intersection

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Yeah check that wire on the alternator, i havnt seen it but it sounds like its a common thing from what iv read, if not it sounds likely its the alternator, unless like said above the battery is shorting out. The alternator should keep the car running normally if the battery dies.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No it won't. If the battery dies, the alternator will direct it's current to the battery rather than the rest of the car. Check the condition of the battery first, check that the alternator's out put is over 13V, and check the main feed wire from the back of the alternator to see if the insulation looks burnt. If it does, cut it back and put a new terminal on it and reconnect it.

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
sitting at 11.40V while engine is running.
just over 12V while not running, so i'm guessing alternator then.
The cable at the back seems to be all good.
Now to work out how to get the alternator off and change the bushes, i assume that's all i do?
Cheers for the help ppl :)
edit: changed the bushes and all's back to normal now..
Again, thanks for the help :)

Last edited:

manual_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR manual
voltage regulator, $62 from repco
dont replace the whole alternator its just the brushes worn