Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering wheel- airbag

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Hi guys,

i have a series II ute, base pack which i understand airbags were optional, i was lead to believe by the previous owner the drivers airbag option had been taken up due to the appearance of the steering wheel, although i have realised that some steering wheels of calais, etc have SRS airbag written on them.

Due to my airbag not having this on it but still appearing the same shape as an airbag one does this mean i do not have an airbag? Are the vs steering wheels all this shape as opposed to the shape difference in the vr and earlier models.

The reason i ask this is my steering wheel is starting to wear and the only reason i have been keeping it in there is because i thought it had an airbag, i'm now not so sure and would change to a new sports wheel if it was not an air bagged steering wheel.

If anyone could shed some light on this predicament i would appreciate it

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
go out and smash your car.....will soon know if there is or is not a air bag :p (dont do it!!)

check to see if there is a black box under the front drivers seat...if there is then that means it has a air bag ...but if there isn't there could still be a airbag fitted

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
pretty sure there is no box there, the second reason i ask is my mate has the same wheel and pulled his open to find no airbag,

it would be good if like HSV holden had a vin database that had all the options listed for the vehicle.

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
The VS air bag and non-airbag wheels do not look the same but they do look similar. On the VS non-airbag wheel the Holden trademark (lion) is immbedded 2cm into the wheel.

The VS airbag wheel has the Holden trademark on the same level as the rest of the wheel. It also has the words SRS AIRBAG writen on it below the Holden sign. On an airbag model airbag safety information is printed on the underside of the drivers side sun-visor. The Words SRS Airbag are also printed on the black plastic between the drivers and rear door. And finaly when starting an airbag eqiped model the SRS light illuminates on the dash cluster for about a second when the car starts.

The drivers side airbag was standard on all VS acclaims, Berlinas, Calais, Statesman and Caprice but was optional on all other models. Hope this :Dhelps

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The airbag part of the steering wheel is removable and can be refitted to a new steering wheel designed for the airbag. The steering wheel must be factory issue.

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
thanks a heap cruzn and hako, i suspected that was the case, i think its pretty safe to say i dont have an air bag, hmmmm new steering wheel it is then