Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS "Normal" Temperature Range

C

centauris

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster, you know how it goes.

Got a stock Dec '95 VS Vacationer with 236,000km on the clock and still running fairly well.

I have noticed that when idle for more than a few minutes or when driving at slow speeds (5-10k/hr) for more than a few minutes, the temperature gauge will shoot right up (see picture) and stay there for about 30 seconds before sinking down sligtly.

Once I begin driving at normal speeds it sinks very quickly to it's "normal" operating temperature at somewhere below half way.

Basically -- is this normal?

The radiator, coolant and hoses were all replaced mid-2004 with no real effect.

Interesting to note that on a cool night at 110k/hr it will barely move above the C mark -- maybe a few millimetres at best.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Attachments

• Picture(32).jpg
    Picture(32).jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,685

niggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8
I wouldn't panic, my VS does it to, if you get out of the car and lissen the Thermo fan doesn't come on till it reaches that temp (about 3/4 on the gauge) so obviously holden has designed the car to be able to heat up to this temp.

If you are however worryed, simply drive with the aircon on, that'll keep the thermo fan running, and you'll never go above 1/4, or rewire the thermo fan to never go off - choice is yours :)

F

finarfin

My Statesman is playing up with this, i discovered that unless the A/C is on the electric engine fan doesnt seem to work at all. Ive suspecting that the PCM's coolant temp sensor is buggered. It uses two sensors , one for the temp gauge and one for the PCM. The A/C partly overrides this and runs the fan anyway. I did ring the Used car salesman to arrange repair as its under warranty and his impression is that is should kick in at halfway on the guage (which it doesnt) and I dont let it get any higher. If the car is moving the guage usually sits at the 1/4 mark.

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
yer, my VS does the same thing, gauge goes up to what seems failry high, and then the thermo fan kicks in and sends it back down, apparently commodores are known for running hot, ive had my radiator replaced, flushed and re-filled and my water pump replaced too, and it still reaches these temperatures. I think ive worked out that if the car has air-con, then the fan doesnt come on til 3/4 temp, cos holden figured if its hot outside u'd have the aircon on, and if u dnt have aircon, then the fan comes on like 1/3-1/2 temp. So you could always replaced the fans sender unit, or perhaps the thermostat (i dunno) with one from a vs with no aircon, and that might keep it down. Thats what ive thought anway. As mentioned previously, im sure if it reaching that temp was dangerous to the car at all, the thermo fan would kick in alot sooner.
Thats my thoughts :p
Rob

Hytes

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS Berlina S1
Had my Berlina three months, alot of runnin' around town etc ... done two long distance trips, I always have the air-con on and when I look down at the temp gauge it's never above the first quarter mark ... I suspect this is normal?

B

blade_1

Mine Does exactly the same thing mate i presume its normal maybe a slight design fault

T

TiTaN2

yo, actually today in replacing my rediator hose i noticed then when i idle my car, the temp gauge heats right up to about half way then the fan kicks in, shitting myself ive just come on here and put my worse fears of a blown head to rest !
yeh as well it definatly goes down when i am driving, since i just got my car havnet had a chance to test the air con out and all.
cheers fellas!

monarols71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series11 Ute
Here we go again.
Read your owners manual, and for those of you who don't have one, read this!!!!!!!!!!!! :drink:

Attachments

• Temp Gauge Info.jpg
    Temp Gauge Info.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 4,794

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Another "It's normal, mine does it too" vote from me. When the car's stopped, or even moving slowly, there's no air flow through the radiator, so naturally it will go up. When it gets to nearly three quarters on the gauge, the thermo fan sensors do their job, and kick-in. Then when it's cooler again, they turn off. It's a bit scary when your' not used to it, but it's normal.