Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr/vs paint and panel

boonga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz s pack ute
hey guys iv just got my vr ute and it has a few dints for example right infront of the back taillight. i was woundering weather anyone knew about that kinda stuff
; price for paint etc
; some tips for diy
; how hard is it to pull the engine and interior out for a full respray
; prep
; electronics
iv also got a fairly good spray gun and plenty if room

joe_rolls_commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Pretty broad bundle of questions champ. I'm not a mechanic/panel-beater, so I can't offer professional advice. However, if I wanted to undertake such an involved job, I'd do as much research as possible. That way you can ask pointed questions and get better answers (and more of them).

"some tips for diy":
-www.google.com,
-buy a manual
-https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/forums/holden-commodore-how-tos.40/

"how hard is it to pull the engine and interior out for a full respray":
-www.google.com
-buy a manual

; prep
-www.google.com
-buy a manual

electronics:
-www.google.com
-https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/forums/electrical-wiring-questions.20/

bittsa

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VR acclaim
im a second year spraypainter. so i might be able to help alittle.

1-price of paint) the paint i deal with and the paint you will buy from AutoOne or the alike are different. they have different chemicals in them, a smash repairs can not legally sell you their paint as it has dangerous chemical that have been removed from the style paint AutoOne will sell you. go to AutoOne or a auto shop the deals with paint and ask them of a price on 4 litres of paint. that should be plenty.

2- tips on DIY)
-the best paint will always come from work from bare metal up. that said, you can work over the existing paint and still achieve a nice finish.
-before applyin boag rub the paint back to bare metal. if you put the boag over old paint it may fall out if the paint is decayed.
-ensure all shine is off any panel that you intend to paint, if its shiny the paint will not hold on and it will flake off. finish a panel off with P800 grade sand paper, wet or orbital sanding doesnt really matter. invest in a product called 'Scuff stuff' its a paste that when alpied using scoth brite will slighty scratch the sruface and take off the shine.
-ensure ALL edges are VERY well rubbed, the easiest place for paint to start flakein off is the edge of a panel.
-use wax and grease remover prior to painting. wipe it on, then wipe it off witha clean rag. remove all residue the the W&G remover leaves. also ensure there is no other containates arund that contains silicone. silicone only has to be in the air ofr it to destroy your paint.
-properly clean your vechile before paint, if the viechile is not clean, or your work place is not spotless, you will have a hell of a time cutting the **** out and buffing it back.

lol. any other questions on paint, just ask.

3-how hard is it to pull the engine and interior out for a full respray)
i just had to replace teh enigne in my VR. NOT A NICE JOB! im not enjoyin at all. i would suggest letting the pros do the engine bay. they will be able to mask it up well enough to get a decent job. it may not be perfect, but you should never see the bits they miss anyway. and its a damn site easier, maybe a bit more expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

as for the interior panels, the only hasle wit them is the time it takes to pull the out. i would recommend taking the doors, bonnet, boot and bars off of a complete recolour. will make the job much nicer.

i hope all this helps some what. if you want it to look really nice, pay up and let the pros do it. if you want to do it yourself. good on ya. keep everything clean and free of silicone, remove all sine and rub your edges and you should be alright.

good luck
Jarrod