Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

occasional "stall" under acceleration - vr

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Excec; 95 II VR Equipe; 99 VT Exec
Howdy, vr v6, is in good condition overall, but she will die every now and then when i take off hard, so far has always caught again (its an auto), but this problem could get me rear-ended. Relevant points: have changed fuel filter; happens with tank full or empty or inbetween; doesn't always have to be heavy acceleration; happens hot or cold; no engine light or fault code; have run fuel system cleaner thru it; any ideas please? cheers guys.:bang:

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
Id put it to fuel filter, and pump.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Just sounds like the spark plugs are a bit old, try changing them.

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
didnt want the expense of a fuel pump! spark plugs and fuel filter are new, poo! is there a way of checking fuel pump?

5.0Ltr-StatesMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman 5.0
I have a auto VR statesman with a 5 litre EFI (as my name may suggest) Recently I have been having the same prob with the car "****ting itself " mostly while under acceleration, but also when not it just stalls & suffers pre-ignition. It will always start again & usually will generate a error code #42 (ignition bypass circuit)
It only wants to run on petrol - so cant use LPG

I'm as keen as Johnny #5 to find "more input"

Here's a few things I have pondered on over whilst being honked at & called "bloody wanker" by frustrated motorists when the statesman " ****s itself " at the traffic lights.

Faulty Maf/map sensor or a vacuum leak to said sensor which controls EFI EST & Trans ?
I say this cos I had problems with the auto not changing gear correctly not long before It started not running properly.

Bad Distributor cap/sparkplugs/leads causing weak spark ?

Knock sensor or Throttle sensor ?

EST/ECM Module running in back-up mode with only 8 or so spark timing settings ?

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
fyi spark plugs are new. Theres another thread around with a similar issue regarding cornering and stalling - the problem may be 'swirl pot' in fuel tank breaking loose and causing fuel pump to starve a bit when cornering with a low amount of fuel - after experimenting a bit i think my issue is the same - also cant remember it ever doing it except when cornering and putting the foot down a bit? so perhaps time to find a tank at upi and hope its swirl pot's intact. StatesMan - i think your lpg issue is maybe another drama altogether, good luck!

5.0Ltr-StatesMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman 5.0
OK I HAVE MANAGED TO DRAMATICALLY IMPROVE THE PROBLEM

I unplugged the MAF Sensor , if thats its name, (see pic 1) removing both vacuum hose and wiring plug. I then started the engine without them ,once i blocked the vacuum hose with my thumb it of course ran alot better, was able to rev up the engine without it stalling for once ! I gave the plastic unit (pic 1) a bit of a tap with a screwdriver and connected it back up while the motor was still running.

The car now runs a hell of alot better but still has a little trouble changin gears smoothly.im quite convinced it's the source of my recent troubles, and will now replace it with a new one!

Also I should mention just in case it may of helped , one of the ignition module (pic 2)
mounting bolts was a little loose and was tightened.

The car no longer dies upon heavy throttle & will Idle for as long as I want.
IT NOW ALSO RUNS ON LPG !!!! YaaaY !!!