Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

emptying fuel tank vs commodore ute! anyone got pics of what line to disconnect?!

VS5spdV6uteowner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 5SPD UTE
any pictures or easy to follow tutorials would be appreciated!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The smart way is to disconnect the fuel filter connector on the engine side, connect a hose to the filter and apply power to the pump (presuming it still works) and pump the fuel out. No sparks of course.
If you have an old electric fuel pump - SU or similar low pressure pump you can use this to suck it out the same way.....or I've seen air blown into the filler to force the fuel out but this can blow all the breather hoses off as well.
Or milk it like we did back then - use a length of the neighbour's garden hose and syphon it out.
Sorry haven't seen a tutorial on the ute.

VS5spdV6uteowner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 5SPD UTE
thanks for the reply mate , truble is the pump is gone completely! looks like syphoning might be an option haha

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The last time I had to drain a tank with an inoperative fuel pump I used a siphon connected to the fuel return line (which should be on the tank gauge sender flange on VS ute - the 'other one' to the one with the filter).

The level of the fuel in whatever you are draining it into needs to be below the level of the fuel in the tank for the siphon to work, although the hose you use can rise above the level provided it is free of air. Jacking the car up first helps.

Because it is a ute, you may be able to lift/tilt the tank up to access the pump bracket/sender without completely draining it too.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
When my fuel pump went I tried disconnecting hoses to drain the fuel, but the flow is just way to slow. It would take hours to drain a full tank.

Dont mind hako's suggestion of powering the pump. You would simply remove a relay and bridge two pins and you could easily control the whole lot, starting and stopping as required.

I did the syphon. Just need to have your containers ready, once its running its quick and not easy to stop so you probably loose a little or a lot depending on how quick you are. A second person would probably be very useful.