Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I replace the boot struts

CrimsonThunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS
Hey all, my boot struts are out of gas (or something..) whenever you open the boot it tends to fall back down. I have a new set so I was just wondering how do I change em over?

Cheers!

PS: I did a search and found nothing. >.<

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Just get a screwdriver and prise the clip that holds it on and it will come off.

Last edited:

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
get a small flat head screwdriver, and get it under the little circular metal clip thing on each end. there should be a small slot in the strut where you get it in. once the clip is off, just pull it off the ball. not too hard.

CrimsonThunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS
Sweet, sounds easy as. Something for me to do in the morning when i wake up. :)

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
just to be safe. make sure you put a stick under the boot lid to hold it up while you change the struts on by one....pretty damn heavy with out those 2 struts

CrimsonThunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS
Dammit, When doing this the struts in the boot are way smaller than the ones I have now... I think the ones I have are for the bonnet not the boot. =/ Unless I can make them smaller some how?

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Dammit, When doing this the struts in the boot are way smaller than the ones I have now... I think the ones I have are for the bonnet not the boot. =/ Unless I can make them smaller some how?

You aren't trying to compress them with the boot partly shut, are you? You have to have the boot lid pushed all the way ope nand then some, on my car I actually had to remove the little rubber pad that stops the arms from hitting on the frame.

CrimsonThunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS
Nah the boot is fully open, but seriously, the ones that are in my boot right now are three quaters size of my new ones.

I tried making the new ones smaller but they're too stiff...

08sky_way

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
When I replaced them, the only way I could get them on was to lay on my back in the boot then by pushing up the lid with my feet to open it as far as I could, and with all the pressure I could manage to compress the strut, I was only just able to get the end the strut over nipple. You need someone around in case the boot closes on you, or leave the hatch down on the back seat, IF you can fit through. I was absolutely knackered when I finished. The amount of force you need to compress a new strut is incredible.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The amount of force you need to compress a new strut is incredible.

That's what I found as well. Taking off the bump rubbers gives you a little more room to play with but replacing the struts still takes a lot of effort.