Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what does the BCM (Body control module) do???

muggo05

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VT GTS
hey guys just wandering what the bcm actually does and what the difference is between the different level bcm's??

i'm assuming level 1 is exec etc
2 is maybe berlina and calais
3 maybe statesman and caprice??

bad guesses i know!!

anyway i have a VS S pack and wandering if there is any benefit to upgrading to a higher level BCM?

Thanks for the lesson everybody!!!

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
They arent a plug and play upgrade...low and medium have the same plugs and similar wiring ...high uses different loom and has more plugs/wiring feeding it.Your keyhead talks to the bcm when you try to start that sends a data to you ecm to get all the fuel injection and ignition going so it runs ....... so another bcm means new keyheads
BCM also controls a lot of different things that on older cars were separate modules like door locking, power windows, theft deterent wiper intermittent control etc.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
BCM controls things like power windows, central locking, air-con/climate control, alarm/immobiliser, priority keys etc (most electrics not related to the powertrain)

The only time you'd want to think about upgrading it is if you're retrofitting a feature which isn't supported by your spec of BCM. Just upgrading the BCM alone isn't going to give you anything.

AFAIK there are 4 specs of BCM, low/mid/high/luxury.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
hhmm, maybe my bcm is playing up! I have to press the unlock button several times on my key head before the car will turn over,it unlocks the doors first press though!

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Could just be the key head. I had one which was on the fritz, would unlock the doors usually if you were pretty close to the car, but the immobiliser would randomly kick in while starting the car. New key head and was sweet.

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Holden Caprice V II (V8)
Most, if not all of the things the higher level BCMs do can be done with simple circuits

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Could just be the key head. I had one which was on the fritz, would unlock the doors usually if you were pretty close to the car, but the immobiliser would randomly kick in while starting the car. New key head and was sweet.

Cheers Danja!
My key head is pretty buggered, i might get it replaced soon and see if that makes any difference:thumbsup:

muggo05

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VT GTS
so is my bcm buggered then if mine does this??

- when i unlock the car (two stage unlock) by pressing the button just once ie drivers door only, if i leave the door open for more than a couple of seconds, it will automatically unlock all the doors. however if i unlock just the drivers door and jump in really quickly, the other doors will stay locked until i open the door again.

make sense?? lol

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
muggo05, are you sure someone hasnt fitted an aftermarket system? Has the car always done this?

cxcxcxvcvcvc, if the new key head doesnt fix it, it could be the key reader. The metal ring on the ignition barrel may just need to be bent out a little to make contact with the metal tab on the key.

muggo05

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VT GTS
@ kopper69 - yeah mate its all factory, has always done it since i got the car. and if the car is unlocked, it will try and keep unlocking itself like if you keep pressing unlock on the key. REALLY ANNOYING!!

so new key head from holden and $150 out of pocket then??

***starts giving CPR to wallet***