Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MuckUte's VS Caprice S2

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Model:
1997 VS Caprice Series II

Colour:
White over silver

Bodykit:
Standard

Engine Type:
5.0 V8

Exhaust:
Pacemaker extractors and Y-piece
Redback 2.5 cat back system

Fuel System:
Standard

Gearbox:
4L60E Auto

Diff:
Standard LSD 3.08

Wheels:
16' stock alloys
225/55r16 Touranza

Suspension:
Aftermarket springs and shocks
Self leveling has been removed

Brakes:
Standard

Stereo:
Factoy system
-10 stack CD w 10sp

Interior:
Standard Caprice, leather and woodgrain
Tint

Futures Mods:
Not much, just fixing a few broken bits

Current Issues:
Busted center console
Cracked leather on drivers seat
Small vibration when travelling above 100kph

Cars Story:
Had a 1967 Land Rover that was given to me, the novelty of driving a true antique wore off quick, didn't help the my better half wouldn't drive it. After deciding to sell I started looking at what I could get in my price range, thought about getting a 5.0 ute then worked out a VS Caprice would fit in my budget. Ended up costing $200 to change over :) . Picked it up last Sunday.

Previous owner has had it since late '03 with 111,000ks it now has 299,000ks and has a wad of paperwork from his mechanic, about the only part that hasn't been rebuilt or replaced is the engine. Like all salesmaen he tried to upsell it saying he thought it had a HSV motor in it but with no ID plate or memcal I don't think so, he also swears black and blue that back in the day it was John Howards chauffer car which I also took with a grain of salt.

The interior is good and bad, the front seats are fairly worn and the center console must have been out a few times as most of the clips are broken and there are a few cracks that have been glued up. The roof lining has also started to sag. Other than that the rest of the interior is in great condition and the best part, everything works.

On the outside the body is very straight, no carpark dents etc but a few stone chips, hood ornament intact, tail lights and rear garnish mint, bit of gutter rash on the wheels.

When I test drove it and up untill this morning the trans was shifting hard (think neck snapping) even at light throttle, put it down to worn trans. Went to move it this morning and when it started it ran really rough and engine light came on, so checked fault codes and got

Code 31 - Theft Deterrent Signal missing
Code 72 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Intermittent - Auto Transmission Only

Found out that when #72 is set the trans runs full line pressure at all times and won't engage 4th, reset codes and had a nice smooth trans again

Pics:

This is what I sold to fund the purchase

And what it got me

My temporary roof lining repair

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Nice pick up!

I still laugh at the John Howard's chauffeur vehicle comment.

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
Looks like a good bus for the price.

Ah, the old drawing pin in the roof trick, saved me for a week until I fixed the problem properly haha.

Any plans for it?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Bloody hell looks in good nic mate.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Bloody hell looks in good nic mate.

It does now, there has been a lot of cleaning over the last week. The PO's son in law had been driving it for the last 12 months and I don't think he cleaned it the whole time. Drivers seat wouldn't move back because there was a dummy stuck in the runner, maccas fries everywhere, black wheels and the whole outside was a grimey grey colour.

Looks like a good bus for the price.

Ah, the old drawing pin in the roof trick, saved me for a week until I fixed the problem properly haha.

Any plans for it?

Current plans are a bit of a tidy up and enjoy driving it.

I have a WB ute that I am doing a ground up build on and don't need another project hence selling the Land Rover.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
It's come time for a new headunit as the CD changer doesn't work and I don't have tapes anymore.

Does anyone have any experience using the CAT10 to connect the steering wheel controls to the new unit? Are there any other options that work with the VS controls?