Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt Blower Fan

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
VT BLOWER FAN
REMOVAL

1. Open glove box
2. Using a large flat blade screwdriver pry the black pin, found inside the left hand side of the glove box, out.
3. Remove the glove box by pulling slightly to the driver’s side and out.
4. Remove 5x screws from the glove box surround trim on the left hand side of the glove box area.
5. Remove glove box surround trim, should just about fall out.
6. Remove 2x screws from inside the ½” holes located at the left hand side dashboard door duct trim on the left hand side of the dash.
7. Remove 1x screw on the same dashboard door duct trim located inside the triangular air duct above the main duct.
8. Remove dashboard door duct trim.
9. Pull passengers seat fully back on its rails.
10. Locate and remove 1x screw on the passengers side trim on the side of the center console.
11. Remove 3x screws holding this same center console side trim on at the right hand side of the glove box surround. (The two lower screw and one located underneath)
12. Remove trim.
13. Undo 10x screws from glove box surround. 4x at top, 2x bottom, 2x right and side at top, and 2x left hand side outer (located behind the dashboard door duct trim).
14. Drop glove box surround down.
15. Remove 2x 1 pin clear electrical plugs from glove box light.
16. Remove 2x 1 pin black electrical plugs from glove box light switch on the right hand side of glove box surround.
17. Remove 1x 2 pin white electrical plug from boot release switch.
18. Pry 2x cable hold down pins from rear of glove box surround.
19. Remove glove box surround.
20. Pry the under dash kick tray down from the right hand side.
21. Remove under dash kick tray by sliding to the right. (Locating pins on left hand side).
22. Remove 1x 2 pin electrical plug from blower motor (red and yellow wires)
23. Untape 2x vacuum lines from underneath the blower fan cover trim.
24. Pull the same 2x vacuum lines from locaters under the same blower fan cover trim.
25. Remove 3x coarse thread screws from the blower fan cover trim. 1x front left hand side behind steal bar, 1x right hand side near foot duct outlet, 1x left hand side at the rear near firewall.
26. Remove blower fan cover trim.
27. Undo 3x long coarse thread screws with large washers from the blower fan motor.
28. Drop blower fan motor assembly down and out.

REFITTING POINTS

1. Make sure the blower fan is located correctly before refitting.
2. Make sure all wiring is reconnected.
3. Refit under dash kick tray via the left hand side pins first and push up on right hand side.
4. Re-tape vacuum hoses to trim.
5. Fit the left hand side of glove box first watching the locating pins, then push the right hand locating pin back in once aligned.

By Guy Robinson.

W

WeeMan

Can someone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of doing this and the other stickied thing???

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Only use of this post is to replace/check the Blower fan if you have lost all of the fan speeds and everything else is ok such as fuses, relays etc. Else its means jack.

Regards Guy.

S

Sherman

How do you do it on a VX Calais. According to the Haynes
VX/VT mechanics manual all you have to do is go underneath the glovebox and remove the kick panel. Upon doing this their apprently is a panel to unscrew to gain access to the blower motor. Then you can unscrew the motor and it should drop out therotically. The problem is I have just did a small attempt myself but the Haynes manual does not state it clearly enough. This looks like a small job that is made to appear like a massive costly job- in otherwords a bullshit mechanic will charge you an arm and a leg and claim it is a twelve hour job and the entire dashboard needs to be lifted. So someone can you please show me how to do this???

Redfox

Reaction score
My air con blower is making a squeeking noise that is consistent with the speed of the fan. I dunno if any of you guys have experienced this before, but it is extremely annoying! If i dropped the blower fan, would it be quite easy to squirt in a bit of silicone spray to stop the damn thing making that noise? If so, where should I spray it?

G

gaza70

Faulty Fan

My blower fan faulted and would not switch on. Checked fuses etc and all appeared OK (I have a berlina and was worried about the "soft switch" and wondering how much that was going to cost if the switch was at fault! - so I determined the fan at fault. I stuck my head under the passenger side dash and removed the fan.

I took it down the shed and put 12 volts on it, sure enough, no spin. I decided to take the fan apart (thinking if it was stuffed anyway, I couldnt do any harm) I pried back the two tabs retaining the end cap (where the motor brushes are) and followed the connector wires and noticed a "trip switch" (looks like a set of contacts in a distributer). I used a screw drive to flick them open and they snapped shut. (I think it is used as an overload breaker??) Anyway when they snapped shut, dust and carbon crap came out. It seemed to be quite dirty with alot of carbon deposits. So I cleaned it up with a bit of emery paper, gave it a bit of compressed air and reassembled the motor.

Put 12 volts on it and Low and behold, it works! Put it back in the car and has been working fine ever since.

V

VTCommo98

Hey man I got the same problem.

When I took it for a service the dude told me it was ****ed and had to replace it at the price of $300. So I told him to jam it, I notice that when it dies, I give the glovebox a fair smack and it starts up again (50%) of the time. I'm gonna try and pull it apart today and see if it's dirty or something. But I definetley don't want to lash out 300 bucks on a new one.

Anyone had this problem before and could tell me what the reason is. Coz the service guy claimed it was some electrical problem, and I'm thinking well all the fuses are good and if u smack it, it restarts so u must be full of ****...

Anyway, I'll try this in the mean time but let me know plz.

Loz

trademark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S/W
Squeeky blower fan

Redfox said:
My air con blower is making a squeeking noise that is consistent with the speed of the fan. I dunno if any of you guys have experienced this before, but it is extremely annoying! If i dropped the blower fan, would it be quite easy to squirt in a bit of silicone spray to stop the damn thing making that noise? If so, where should I spray it?

Hi RedFox,
Yeah, I have exactly the same problem with my blower fan. I took the actual motor out from behind the glove box, and sprayed some silicone spray on the moving parts that I could clearly see. The squeeking is still there, even though I have tried the same thing several times. Have you had any luck yet ?
TM

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
Had my VX blower fan replaced as it carked it - costed $90 to replace and labour.

V

VT2LS1

G'day all,

I have a VT2 Berlina with Climate control, My fan was making a humming noise which got louder as you turned up the speed of the fan. Not really loud but you could notice it. Next day it wouldnt work at all on any speed. I banged my glovebox hard and it came back to life but still makes the humming noise.

Does it sound like debris? Worth taking to a dealer? Looking at those instructions above it looks like its quite complex in getting the fan out and I would be worried about getting everything back in place properly.

Trying to avoid paying Holden $500 + in labour here you see.

Please help!

Cheers

VT2LS1