Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing air filter on VX2 Commodore

jvp007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 S
How hard or easy is it to change the air filter? I have noticed a lot of wires around the housing but have not tried to take it apart.

I am thinking of getting a K&N air filter for my Commodore S. Is there really an increase in performance and economy?

Thanks in advance ..

VLACS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
do you mean a pod filter or a panel. the panel should just sit in the box where the old filter was. for the pod filter youll have to take the box out or put it inside the box. not sure how to connect a pod though as ive never done it. if you take the box out the pod should fit on the end of the pipe with one of those little round clamp things that you use a screw driver to tighten

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
It's not that hard at all to change the air filter on your car. What i do is carefully disconnect the the plug to the air temp sensor which is the little one mounted on the back of the lid and pop off the little metal clips around the edges and carefully lift the lid up. As for a k&n filter, there are a few threads floating around at the moment about air filters and such, with the k&n replacement panel filter seeming to be the weapon of choice....

VLACS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
that and a cold air intake, i agree

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
the vt's onwards came with a smallish CAI as a stock item. nothing beats playing around with it though!

VLACS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
lol :yeah:

how much would a kand n panel filter cost btw

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
well, autobarn here sells them for 130 clams, but thats because they can and we're in a small town. if you shop around though you should get one for near 100.....

jvp007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 S
Thanks for the replies. I am looking at just replacing my standard filter with a K&N panel filter. In Canberra, the filters cost about $150 at Autobarn and $172 at Repco.

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
you'd be better off going for a OTRCAI more power gains to be had by them....
you can buy one from power torque engines....

Redfox

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with a K&N. You won't notice any performance gains. I would only recommend them for engines with forced induction when you need to get in a whole lot more air a helluva lot quicker. But in that case, many people use pod filters. The benefit of the K&N is that it will last you forever with the correct maintennance. But I'd prefer to spend $10-12 every 10-15,000km's and buy a brand new paper filter. It works just as well and is a lot cheaper!