Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS, Engine, Traction Control and Airbag Lights

nolim8ts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS S1
After driving my car for 10 minutes today, the warning lights for abs, engine, traction control and airbag lights lit up. After letting it rest for half the day, started it back up and after 10 minutes of driving, the same warning lights re-appeared. I know I have a power steering leak but I don't think this would be causing any issues.

I plan on bringing the car to Holden but thought I would get input from JC members.

nolim8ts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS S1
Took the car to the mechanic's today to see which error codes and been logged. After the multiple error codes had been cleared, the car was taken for drive and behold, the lights came on again. Once again the error codes were cleared and I asked the mechanic to check all the earth leads / alternator charging while under load as suggested in another thread.

Apparently the alternator was charging at 13.5 volts while under load and the alternator's earth was found to be loose. Alternator earth was re-secured and after driving the car around today, no lights have come up on the dash [holds breath] :yeah:

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Best way to find out. Next time the lights come on, unplug your ABS module and check the lights again most of them will be gone like Airbag, Oil etc but trac off, trac low, abs off, will remain. If that's the case your ABS module needs changing. Get yourself a pair on swap over basis on ebay and you're good to go.

S

Sash182

Took the car to the mechanic's today to see which error codes and been logged. After the multiple error codes had been cleared, the car was taken for drive and behold, the lights came on again. Once again the error codes were cleared and I asked the mechanic to check all the earth leads / alternator charging while under load as suggested in another thread.

Apparently the alternator was charging at 13.5 volts while under load and the alternator's earth was found to be loose. Alternator earth was re-secured and after driving the car around today, no lights have come up on the dash [holds breath] :yeah:

I had the same prob when i had mt vt s, the earth cable was loose when i changed over a dead alternator and driving down the road the dash lit up like a christmas tree. It never happend again after I tightened the loose nut.

Statesmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
nolim8ts, I was having the same problem, now fixed, (after new alternator was installed).
It may not be the problem, it could be the ABS module, but it surely doesn't hurt to check and ensuring good earth, before replacing the module?

Anyway, good luck and hope it fixes the problem.

nolim8ts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS S1
After driving the car for 20 minutes, the ABS and Traction controls lights came on again but only for a split second causing the car to jolt. I have since purchased a working ABS module of eBay for $100. ABS will be getting installed within the next 2 weeks. Would any mechanics have any objections to installing a second hand ABS module?

nolim8ts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS S1
ABS Replacement

I've decided to spend the $800 and replace the faulty ABS module with a brand new one. I just hope this is the problem and that the lights don't come on again 2 months down the track...

Last edited:

mdmatt

mdmatt
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 LS1 Auto VZ SSZ 328.6rwhp
haha i had exactly the same problem with my vt acclaim 2 years ago, it was the ABS module and after replacing it, all good.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Has anyone used the Ebay swapover sellers? I don't want to waste good money and be getting a raw deal.