Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS module fault, or,...

Statesmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Hey all, I've been reading up about faults concerning the VT ABS module. Reports of various dash lights on, off or in-between, no Speedo or Tacho, heavy steering etc I have just started getting the same problem.
Took my baby down to check what error codes had logged. Take your pick!
Seemed more like a Friday night bingo than a diagnostic readout!
Numbers 18, 19, 21, 58 and more... all had been logged. Did the module connector remove thing, and sure enough, the light went out. My mechanic scratched his head and said "Yeah, I think your right, it must be the ABS module...that's gunna cost a packet". Got the codes cleared and left.
On the way home I noticed the alternator light was on, I hadn't noticed with all the other dash lights that had been on.
So, I called in to see a mate who is an Auto elec. He whacked a multimeter on it and found out it was charging at 16 - 17 volts. He recons that he has found the problem! If it is the alternator causing the faults, not the ABS unit, I might just save some money.
So, this is just a heads up for those with the same symptoms, your problem MIGHT not be the ABS unit. I will post back when I find out more.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
$275 for a new comp, i changed mine a month ago. Not roadworthy if fualty, diagnostic picked it up from Holden. Faulty alternator could have buggered it up too.

Statesmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Hey, an update, seems it was the alternator overcharging causing sensors to read high and cause other PCM read errors, not the ABS module. :yeah:
I remember reading a post while trawling through for info on the ABS issue, that a member advised that it could be the engine (or other) earth strap causing the same faults, but in reverse, DTC codes because voltage was too low due to bad connection.
Seems that nugget of gold should also be seriously taken onboard by those who may have dismissed it...
It is possible that when an ABS module was replaced to "fix" the problem, the actual source (poor battery earth), may also inadvertently be remedied. Without eliminating this possibility first, the real issue may not be recognized.
This is just a heads up... I am NOT saying that all the problems relating to the issues described and attributed the DTC demon, AKA: "ABS module fault", are due to poor earth or charging issues, it just was in this case...:thumbsup:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hey, an update, seems it was the alternator overcharging causing sensors to read high and cause other PCM read errors, not the ABS module. :yeah:
I remember reading a post while trawling through for info on the ABS issue, that a member advised that it could be the engine (or other) earth strap causing the same faults, but in reverse, DTC codes because voltage was too low due to bad connection.
Seems that nugget of gold should also be seriously taken onboard by those who may have dismissed it...
It is possible that when an ABS module was replaced to "fix" the problem, the actual source (poor battery earth), may also inadvertently be remedied. Without eliminating this possibility first, the real issue may not be recognized.
This is just a heads up... I am NOT saying that all the problems relating to the issues described and attributed the DTC demon, AKA: "ABS module fault", are due to poor earth or charging issues, it just was in this case...:thumbsup:
Very interesting and good to know. Thanks for the advice.