Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'Rear light bulb failure' warning light

Misaprop

black betty
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
this warning light on my VT V6 Calais has been annoying me for a couple of days now. it turns on when i press the brake pedal. exactly the same thing happens on my dad's VX V8 Calais... when he presses the brake pedal that light comes on (he has been putting up with it for a few months now).

all the brake lights are working and no fuses blown (on both cars)... so what else could this be?

this is what the owners handbook states:

"Rear light bulb failure (if fitted)
If the symbol illuminates while the park/head lights are on, then a bulb failure of the tail lights is indicated.

If the symbol illuminates while the brake pedal is depressed, then a bulb failure of the brake lights is indicated.

If the symbol illumitates while the brake pedal is not depressed and the lights are off, then a fuse failure of the brake lights or tail lights is indicated."

any help would be appreciated.

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
VP Calais

hey
i had the same problem with my 1992 vp calais. all i did was clean and check all the bulbs and connections 2 make sure all the bulbs are working. then disconnect the battery for a few mins which will reset the computer and clear the fault out of memory. I've never had a problem with it since. if all ur bulbs are working u might just get away with disconnecting the battery but make sure u have ur radio code if u got the original stereo in it!!!

Give it a go
Cheers

Misaprop

black betty
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
removing the battery sounds like a temporary fix. i am a bit pedantic and cant stand even small stuff wrong with my car

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
Vp Calais

yeah i am exactly the same with my car down 2 even the smallest dash bulb. its not a temporary fix all it does is reset everything. sometimes the computer might think there is a blown bulb just by a dirty connection. mine was doing the exact same thing as urs and i didnt have any blown bulbs all that was wrong was a corroded bulb connection so i cleaned it up and reset the computer and it hasnt occured since and that was like 2 years ago.

remember always start at simple things, coz remember if u take it 2 an auto elec there probly gunna charge u 100 bucks b4 they even look at it and chances are it will still be the same when u pick it up. i know from experience from a previous problem i had with the power steering they told me i needed a new computer worth $700 and wouldnt gauarentee a fix. i ended up finding the problem myself it was a simple as a cable tie shorting out a wire on the steering rack.

Misaprop

black betty
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
it stopped! i think you are correct, dirty connections. going to clean them this weekend. i feel so good that it's an easy fix

Gravy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
dont forget to check the high mounted brake light.

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
Vp Calais

Good that is was an easy problem to fix. Just get some sandpaper and give all the connections a good sand then spray WD40 on them. also make sure they all make good contact with the bulb bend em a bit if u have 2 just be careful not 2 break em.

cheers

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Gravy said:
dont forget to check the high mounted brake light.
thats what i was going to suggest. My Calais did the same thing, and it was a bad connection to the 3rd mount brake light. I just took it all appart (sprayed it black while i was there) and all is good now!

Sambo

Reaction score
had the same issue for ages on my vq...What fixed it, I removed all of the light bulbs and cleaned them all, and that fixed the problem.