Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Power window wont go up!!

mbvp73

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Acclaim Wgn V6 Auto
Hi there

Yesterday I bought a 1999 VT Acclaim wagon. All has been going good till I put the passenger side power window down. When I went to put it up, I heard a 'thunk' and it wouldn't go up!!

From what I hear its the window regulator. Does any body have any idea what I am looking $$$wise to have this fixed? Should I go to Holden or would any auto elec be able to fix it?

Other than that, the car ain't bad.

Any help would be appreciated

Fonzie

Just lost the game.
Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Sounds like the regulator.. If the rest of the windows are working, it's not a fuse or a fried control module. If replacing regs in the VT is anything like the VS, you're looking at around $100 for a new reg, $50 for pick-a-part, And they aren't that hard to put in yourself - An hours work at most. As for paying someone to do it... I'm betting you're gonna be over charged in some ridiculous way.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
If the windows broken and you only bought it yesterday, Id speak to the seller if you weren't told about the faulty window.

jesse'sVT5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Series 1
If the windows broken and you only bought it yesterday, Id speak to the seller if you weren't told about the faulty window.

If you bought the car from a dealer speak to them... But if it was private sale personally bother.

VT-VX power windows seem to be a very common problem, my back windows on the SS are funny too. Wont work from the controls on both doors, only work from the centre console. Sometimes wont work at all or stop half way up! Slow too compared to the fronts.

Sorry to hijack but does anyone have any ideas for my issue too?

:)

mbvp73

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey JesseVT5.0,

Don't feel you are hijacking. I read your post and the car I bought DOES THE SAME THING!! I tried to put down the back windows from the back door switches. One didn't work at all, the other went down not up, but both worked perfectly from the centre console, up and down. Both of our cars must've been made on a Friday (ie. The people on the Holden production line just wanted to go home!!)

I tried out all of the windows from the centre console when I was checking it out at the dealer. They worked fine. One of those things I guess. Just a s**t coz I just got it. Really weird, put it down it was sweet, went to put it up and something went 'bang'!

As for talking to the dealer, they were painful enough to deal with during the sale so I think I'll just cop this on the chin and get it fixed on my own bat.

Probably just go to a mechanic and get it fixed.

jesse'sVT5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Series 1
Cheers mbvp73 I am thinking relays or something, I don't think both of the back door switches would be dead at the same time but who knows. I also get issues when working the back windows from the centre console.

if I get the time I will try to work it out, add it to the list ;)

Bandito_Mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Is there a regulator replacement how to? I will need to change the front passenger one on my VX as well.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I have the same problem , My right hand rear only works from the rear door switch if i jiggle the wiring loom between the pillar and door then its good for a couple of weeks. But works ok from the main switch.

mbvp73

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi

Have an update with my window situation...

The front passenger window wouldn't go up because the centre console switch was extremely gunky and the contacts were shot! Imagine what a dufus I felt like when the tech managed to get the window up!

Anyway, both the back seat switches were faulty and were replaced. The tech cleaned the centre console switch and its working ok now. He also lubricated the windows runners so the windows go up and down a bit better too.

Also, I wouldn't have known where to turn to if it wasn't for the advice from people in this forum. I heard a lot of people mentioning ELECTRIC LIFE was a great place to have your electric/manual windows fixed and I would have to agree. I took my car to John at Electric Life and he diagnosed it, fixed it, did a service ; No mucking around, total professional

I'm not sure if you can put ad here (I haven't been paid here, trust me, just like to spread the word for good people in the motor trade!) but if you have electric window dramas like I have, take it to Electric Life in Coburg, Victoria.

BT91WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
check the fuse in the door where the faulty switch is swap it to another door and see what happens