Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting problem

ch1mp

Reaction score
If you have a valid reason for requiring my locati
Members Ride
VT S-Pack 3.8L Supercharged
The first time I had this problem was only yesterday. got in my car and put the key in the ignition as you do, turned the key, the engine turned and turned and turned but didn't fire. so i turned everything off and took the key out and tried again and the car started. i just thought the engine was cold and thought nothing of it. then today when i was leaving uni it did it again, but this time i couldn't get it started for about 10 minutes and then when it finally did start firing i had to put my foot on the accelerator to catch it as it was pretty rough and sounded like it might stall. once the car starts, it's perfect. smooth, responsive, no problem at all. a friend of mine said it would be one of 3 things: the module, distributor or the coil. when we had a look under the bonnet though we didn't find a module OR distributor so he concluded that it's probably the coil. my question is, has anyone else had a similar problem? and is it true that a supercharged v6 doesn't have a distributor or module? i know it's not the little tabs on the ignition barrel, and the only other electrical components on the car are the ecu and coil. if it's the coil then i'm not too fussed coz that'll be easy to do.
interested to hear thoughts

skerik

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Series 2 SS Thunder Ute
I've got a similar problem. Has been like that for about 6 or more months now.

There are some days where it takes several goes for it to start. Should get it looked at soon I guess. But there are other things that need fixing on my car first.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
VTs don't have distributors they use a DFI Module which is mounted under the coils.
Check for fault codes by bridging Pins 5&6. If this fails.
When the car does not start or just cranks over check for spark and injecter triggger.
If there is no spark then it could be the DFI module/coils/CAS
If there is no Injector trigger then it could be the PCM that is not triggering the injectors or the EFI relay playing up.
It also can be the PCM not communicating with the BCM when IGN is on. When this signal is missing then the car will crank over but no injector trigger

ch1mp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTs don't have distributors they use a DFI Module which is mounted under the coils.
Check for fault codes by bridging Pins 5&6. If this fails.
When the car does not start or just cranks over check for spark and injecter triggger.
If there is no spark then it could be the DFI module/coils/CAS
If there is no Injector trigger then it could be the PCM that is not triggering the injectors or the EFI relay playing up.
It also can be the PCM not communicating with the BCM when IGN is on. When this signal is missing then the car will crank over but no injector trigger

HAHA woah! That was way over my head! I'll have to get someone to decipher what you just said for me lol. No problems i have just the person who'll understand that lol.
cheers

ch1mp

Reaction score
Members Ride
wll the only thing i'll know how to do is test the coil by taking off each of the leads and testing then one by one by sticking a screw driver into the socket and testing if there's a spark...i'll have to get someone else to check the other stuff you mentioned lol

airforceone

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais superc6
i hav a vx s/c 6 ,had exactly same problem, all i did was get a super fine grade sand paper and rub both the battery terminals and also used a solvent to clean both the connecters to the batery(pos and neg) cause the were covered in greasy crud.then make sure there done up super tight. never had the problem again, mite not be the same as yours but worth a go if it worked for me.

ch1mp

Reaction score
Members Ride
i hav a vx s/c 6 ,had exactly same problem, all i did was get a super fine grade sand paper and rub both the battery terminals and also used a solvent to clean both the connecters to the batery(pos and neg) cause the were covered in greasy crud.then make sure there done up super tight. never had the problem again, mite not be the same as yours but worth a go if it worked for me.

ye i thought of that coz it's covered in that crap that the mechanics put over the terminals to make sure that they don't oxidise n from the heat it's kinda started to melt around, but the engine cranks fine, like it doesn't have any trouble cranking at all so i kinda deducted that thought. might be worth a try though

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
next time it dont statr see if ya security light is flashing.
mine dose the same thing sometimes and its the key reader/sensor thing's not turning off the security. sometimes i have to press the unlock button with key in ignition .

ch1mp

Reaction score
Members Ride
next time it dont statr see if ya security light is flashing.
mine dose the same thing sometimes and its the key reader/sensor thing's not turning off the security. sometimes i have to press the unlock button with key in ignition .

good thought. i'll give that a try too. thanks for the help ppl. keep the ideas coming
cheers

airforceone

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais superc6
so what was the problem in the end did u fix it?