Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is It the alternator?????

deenpete13

Reaction score
Members Ride
98VT Commodore SS V8
On the way to the petrol station 2day the battery light was on..I got my petrol then it wouldnt start..I managed to have it jump started...we got about 500m down the road then nothing would work ie: speedo, petrol guage,temp guage, stereo, electric windows..then the car felt like it wasnt changing gears, then it started puttering out and knocking noises were coming from the engine...we JUST made it home and it just died! Last week I have the waterpump and the idle bearing repaired...I do hope its nothing too major

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
it could be the altonater not generating enuf power yes

deenpete13

Reaction score
Members Ride
98VT Commodore SS V8
Oh sweet..I was just worried that with all that went on it might be a whole heaps of problems..but do you think they are all symptoms of an alternator thats shat itself???

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
mmm check your battery, terminals aswell, check everything to do with alternator before forking out for the wrong part :)

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 V6 + VZ Acclaim Wagon
yeah, could be as simple as the regulator. I havent pulled it out on my VT but i'm guesing it's like most cars and is easy to get to. Usually two screws and then pull it out of the alternator.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If you really want to know for sure, take it to an auto electrician and they can tell you in a couple of minutes, it won't cost much and it could cost nothing to check it.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
yeah, could be as simple as the regulator. I havent pulled it out on my VT but i'm guesing it's like most cars and is easy to get to. Usually two screws and then pull it out of the alternator.

Check the voltage on the battery terminals withthe car running it should be about 14.2 to 14.4 volts, if it is then the alternator is probably not the problem. Check all your wiring next.
Make sure you disconnect the battery before you take the regulator out. Usually it will be the brushes worn out and you can either buy a new regulator or just buy brushes and solder them in, about $10.
Auto elecs wil try to selly ou a whole reco alternator, se eif you can get brushes first and try that or another regulator.

deenpete13

Reaction score
Members Ride
98VT Commodore SS V8
yeah it is the altrnator...getting it done today...costing about 385 for the alternator +80 for labour...damn!!!! thats coz its a v8 5.7L!!!!