Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue LED,s under door handles

Ho7den

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
For those of you who where interested in the mounting of lights under my door handles, here is the finnished product.

One night I had a thought about putting some LED lights under the door handles of my VX Executive when I could not find the door handle (no I was not drunk), so went onto the internet to see what I could find and came up with these for $2 each

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=4375&stc=1.

Then came the fun part of playing around with them to get the desired effect that I wanted. If I mounted them to high under the door handle you could see the light comming out between the gap at the top of the door handle, if you mounted them too low you could actually see the LED. Once I figured out where I wanted them I drilled a small hole big enough for the wires to go through but not the LED.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=4376&stc=1

Then I hot glued the wires at the back of the door handle so as the light would not pull through.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=4377&stc=1

Once all the LED,s had been mounted it was just a matter of wiring them up which I thought was going to be a problem but turned out to be pretty simple. I ran wires through the door and into the cabin via the main wiring harnes by using a curtain rod with closed eyes at either end. Down the side of the car under the scuff plates and up the pillar, acros the roof and out where the interior light is. Then all I had to do was connect them to the positive and negative of the light but remembering that they are opposite.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=4378&stc=1

Attachments

• 2005-08-13 001.JPG
    2005-08-13 001.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,539
  • 2005-08-13 014.JPG
    2005-08-13 014.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 1,907
  • 2005-08-13 017.JPG
    2005-08-13 017.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,670
  • 2005-08-13 026.JPG
    2005-08-13 026.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,387
  • 2005-08-14 005.JPG
    2005-08-14 005.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,515
Last edited:

bluess57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS2
Whats involved with removing the exterior handle?
Thanks

Ho7den

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
You will also have to unclip the steel rod that goes from the external door handle to the internal door opener. This proved to be relativly easy to remove but harder to put back together.

VTWGN97

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive wagon
Just thought i would suggest if anyone trys this they could use the led plastic socket, which would hold the Led firmly with no need for the hot glue. Also less chance of breaking the Led with your fingers when openinig the door.

Also (not tested yet but) you could wire the Led to the door switch on the inside of door jam (on pillar to save on length of wire needed and feeding under roof lining) on the positive before the switch so that the lights would still come on when unlocked with remote.

Not trying to offend anyone just thought i might suggest these alternatives. :unsure:

VTWGN97

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive wagon
They are a small plastic housing in which the LED is held in place safely and securely, they are available at any Dick Smithy or Tandy store usually for under a dollar each. I will try and find a photo and place it on here for you. Your idea is awsome and surprised no one else has thought of it before. I will be doing it to my car this weekend, as well as a few extra lights through out the car (i have a wagon) in places were the original lights don't light up the area enough. Eg Boot area, bottom of glove box ect.:unsure:

VTWGN97

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive wagon
I found a picture, there are different types for different LED, oh and price has gone up since i last bought one. around $2 now.Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

h1934.jpg

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I did this pretty much about a year ago and it works a treat! The other mod I did to my friends car was mounting a handful os superbright leds into the rearview mirrors...kinda like a courtesy light. It lights the ground up quite nicely....no more stepping in puddles!....next trick is indicators in the mirrors ;)