Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Cluster LCD from Level 3 to Level 2

Timmay33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
I think this is my first post on this site, and I do hope to contribute to the greater knowledge, however like many I am starting off with questions.

So I am mucking around with my cluster atm in my VX series 2 S. When I opened up the cluster I realised that there is space and contacts for the 2 other lcds that are in the level 3 clusters. My question is, can I put the lcds from a level 3 cluster in there and they work?

This way I could keep my original K's.

I bought myself a level 3 "VX" cluster however I think it is from series 1 as the contacts are not the same as my cluster.

I am of the thought this wont work as surely people would of thought of this before and if it did work we wouldnt have soo many people asking if they could change the k's on their level 3 cluster.

I have searched for this and cannot find anything about it previously posted.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
i think freddy the resident tech2 brain has said the easiest way to do this is get a complete L3 cluster and you can program the L3 to show the same km as your L1 cluster

i don't tihnk anyone has actually converted an L1 -> L3 by adding the LCDs... where do you get them from?

as far as i know Holden just sell the complete cluster

Timmay33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
i think freddy the resident tech2 brain has said the easiest way to do this is get a complete L3 cluster and you can program the L3 to show the same km as your L1 cluster

i don't tihnk anyone has actually converted an L1 -> L3 by adding the LCDs... where do you get them from?

as far as i know Holden just sell the complete cluster

I was just going to steal the lcds from a lvl 3 cluster... as i said above i already tried on level 3 however i think it was from a series 1 vx or from a vt and thus the contacts for the lcds are different. I am hoping to source a vx series 2 lvl 3 cluster.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
no u wont b able 2 put the LCD screens into ur lower level cluster and have them working, coz the componets and programing is different.

As said above get ur Level 3 cluster recalibrated 2 suit.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Ive comparted lvl2 to lvl3 clusters, the lvl2 clusters are actually missing a few IC's and other components apart from LCD's. All lvl3 clusters with white backing plastic on them can be reprogrammed to suit.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I asked this question of Dr Bob some time ago and no you cant just slot the screens in.

Only way is to get a L3 cluster and get it re programmed to suit your car.