Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt coil pack

BPX-31H

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 vz sv6
My 1-4 coil went today so its running on 4cyl getting it fixed tomorrow, was wondering how much damage is done with driving about 16kms on it and how much will it costto replace it? Would it be smart to replace the whole pack or not bother?

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
they go all the time. New are about $60 by memory?
get one from the wreckers for less than half that.

maybe all 3 need replacing . or 1 at a time. up to you

BPX-31H

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 vz sv6
The others are sparking fine, and im on holidays so less money on the car would be good

Dusty_vs

your resident mechanic
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vs excecutive sedan
i blew a coil pack driving to sydney from wagga.. it went about marulan and i was driving for a few days like that and it didnt appear to do any permanent damage... it will run rich most likely because the pcm will try and substitute for the loss of power by increasing the fuel/air ratio in the remaining 4 cylinders. the only thing i can say is that it will find any holes on your exaust and make them bigger due to backfiring lol it found a hole either side of my centre muffler and made it fall out... i went to pick and payless and grabbed 3 coil packs, the dfi module and the bracket that bolts to the cyl head (basically that whole ignition module) for 75 bucks... worked fine as all three worked and i had 2 spare ones that i kept in the boot untill i had the money for a new set....
while we're on the topic.. if your into performance at all then while your pricing a new set, price a set of MSD coils as the difference might not be much between stock and MSD? my mate changed his to MSD and noticed a little bit of increased perfprmance due to a better spark :)
hope this helps mate

BPX-31H

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 vz sv6
Cheers mate it's getting done at te local mechanic right now, it'll cost 50 all up, then when I get home, then I'll replace te whole pack:)

BPX-31H

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 vz sv6
Update: coil wa screwed but also screwed the dfi module, so it's getting done now!

Doka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec
The other option (instead of the MSD's and what I fitted) is to fit the Super6 Coil packs. They seem to be better than the MSD's (from what i have read/researched) and cheap. I got mine on ebay for 80.00 delivered including the DFi module,. I only fited the coil packs though.

From my understanding (someone can correct me on this) the MSD's and the Super6 Coils will give you a more consistant spark accross the entire rev range.