Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another instrument cluster question

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I picked up a 3 window cluster today in perfect condition for $38 from the wreckers for my VX . I was wondering if it is possible to check to see how many kays it has done without having to pull out the old one and plug the new one in . Maybe some how make up a cable that you can plug into it and then connect to the battery.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I picked up a 3 window cluster today in perfect condition for $38 from the wreckers for my VX . I was wondering if it is possible to check to see how many kays it has done without having to pull out the old one and plug the new one in . Maybe some how make up a cable that you can plug into it and then connect to the battery.

I've made up a few "testers" from the main plug out of a wreck. Just run power from the battery to the plug and it fires up with the K's

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I've made up a few "testers" from the main plug out of a wreck. Just run power from the battery to the plug and it fires up with the K's

Hey thanks for that , What color wires would i use from the main plug? Also i know this has been asked before ( with about 100 different answers ) but is it possible to change the Kays to match the old cluster ?
Thanks in advance ,Dave

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey thanks for that , What color wires would i use from the main plug? Also i know this has been asked before ( with about 100 different answers ) but is it possible to change the Kays to match the old cluster ?
Thanks in advance ,Dave

LOL - yes I can find the wires and post here. Some clusters can be progrmmed (white backed) some not. You may need to get it programmed to suit your car as well - air bags, climate control to name 2. You can ask questions (Rob) at Rob's Creative Calibrations

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
LOL - yes I can find the wires and post here. Some clusters can be progrmmed (white backed) some not. You may need to get it programmed to suit your car as well - air bags, climate control to name 2. You can ask questions (Rob) at Rob's Creative Calibrations

That would be nice if you could post or p.m me which wires to use to check the kays . The cluster i bought has the white back and was out of a VT Calais and is in mint condition . The only reason i bought a new cluster is because the odometer on my old one crapped itself and the readout only shows the first 3 digits unless it is a really hot day. How does the climate control affect the function of the cluster ?
Thanks , Dave

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
That would be nice if you could post or p.m me which wires to use to check the kays . The cluster i bought has the white back and was out of a VT Calais and is in mint condition . The only reason i bought a new cluster is because the odometer on my old one crapped itself and the readout only shows the first 3 digits unless it is a really hot day. How does the climate control affect the function of the cluster ?
Thanks , Dave

The yellow black and grey to neg. The pink blue and the orange yellow to positive ( I forgot to write it down so I think this is correct). This should show the kms on the cluster.

The level 3 cluster may need to be re programmed to suit the number of air bags in your car. Not sure if it needs to be changed if you have standard a/c instead of climate control. (I know my VZ needed to be changed)

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Ok , thanks again for your help :beer chug:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Make that black yellow (had it the wrong way around)

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
so thats black yellow and grey to neg and pink blue orange yellow to positive, yeah ?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
so thats black yellow and grey to neg and pink blue orange yellow to positive, yeah ?

Thats just what I put together in my shed and powered up the ODO - with lcd light.