Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do i take out the dash for a vx acclaim?

robbey

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX acclaim
i got a stock vx acclaim series II with the greyish dash. I am wanting to take it out and spray it another color myself, is it hard to take out and does it need to be sanded back before i spray it?

thanks

robbey

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX acclaim
Hi luke thanks for contributing to my thread

lol we will do everything next week to our cars so they lookin good for christmas :]

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Mate it's seriously not that much work, looks daunting, but it really isn't. And I have seen a couple of dashes painted they can look really good.

robbey

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX acclaim
Mate it's seriously not that much work, looks daunting, but it really isn't. And I have seen a couple of dashes painted they can look really good.

Yeah true that the ones i've seen really look great, would I need to sand down the dash before i give it a few coats of paint? or can i just go straight ahead and paint it?

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Well as with painting anything, you can sand it back I would imagine (I haven't actually done this myself yet). But so long as you applied a few good coats of whatever colour you're going to put on, I don't think it would matter too much, given the colour of the paint is virtually the same as the plastic.

The only reason I can think to sand it back is that the new paint might not hold well to the gloss surface of the dash. Also make sure you put a gloss/clear coat on when you are done, or you will end up with a wondrous flakey covering of this new colour all over your car.