Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt front suspension issue

psycho_smurf

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Crewman V6
Apologies for the length of my post...

I purchased a VT commodore in August this year, and had it RACQ inspected before I bought it to ensure it was A-OK. Unfortunately it had super-super low suspension on it, and my bodywork was getting smashed to bits so I had it raised to 'fe2' suspension at a fairly well known suspension place. About a week after taking it home it developed a noise in the front right. Unfortunately I was hospitalised for 2 months with heart problems and as such lost my job and was unable to take it back immediately.

So I had a peek myself the other day and when you turn the wheel, the spring doesnt seem to be mounting to the strut properly, and it moves independantly of the strut briefly before springing back, if that makes sense. So every time the wheel tries to move it goes tock-tock-tock-tock as it slips and grips again. I took it back yesterday and they listed almost every bush as being busted, as well as my steering rack. Being unemployed I asked for just the absolute necessary, and they lightened my wallet $616 for :radius rod bush, control arm bush & alignment bush.

But when I drove out I was informed that they noise wont go away till I fix the other bushes (link pin I think). I dont understand how RACQ said it was fine not even 6 months ago, yet it all went to buggery after they worked on my suspension. So if anyone has an idea on how I can get the spring to seat better I would appreciate it... It'd make my christmas lol

Cheers,
Russell

thekid93

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
if its the strut making noises and not gripping well,

then they changed the wrong ones. should been strut cap and bearing.

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
it might be possable that when they installed the new springs that they put the top spring plate in the wrong position(needs to face a certain way) and it could be rubbingon the strut tower causing this problem. to check jack the car up and turn the road wheel by hand and see if the topspring plate touches any where on the tower.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Something to note - the VT steering column has i think 2 CV joints in it. One is actually bolted to the firewall on the inside of the cabin, under the dash. These can creak and groan and sound something like a dry power steering pump.

Link pin kits can be bought from super chap for a 70 bux. Easy to do yourself.