Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

not tappet noise

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I have a VT V6 which developed a tappet-like noise. Sounds like it is coming from the rear or middle of the engine. Had the tappets (cam followers) replaced with new ones, Oil flush and new filter with new oil, still has the same noise. It gets a bit quieter as the engine warms up. Anyone else with the same experience? And a fix for the problem? Noise sounds like it is coming from the rear of the motor. Definitely not gudgeon (wrist pin) or big end noise. Do these engines crack piston skirts? Like the old 173 red engines?

Thorny32

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
could possibly be bottom end bearing i think not 100% sure

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the noise seems to come from the top of the engine,It might be the balance shaft bearings,its located under the intake manifold,they can get a rattle or tapping sound up when they get worn.You can actually disconnect the balance shaft if thats what is causing the noise.Also what oil do you use.You should use a good 20W-50 or higher spec oil.I use penrite 15w-60 which is a bit thinner at cold startup ,but stays thicker when hot.The 15W represents how thin the oil will be when cold,the lower the number the thinner the oil and the quicker it will flow when cold at startup,and the last number represents how thick it stays when its hot.The 15W-60 stuff I use stays a bit thicker at high temps compared to the recommended 20W -50 oil.