Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater Core or something else?

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Hey guys,

Just wondering whether this issue I'm having it heater core related, or something else.

If I have my aircon on and put it on recycle, and then turn it off and change it to normal vents, the car interior heats up fairly quickly and becomes very muggy. Even the windscreen seems to start fogging up.
It also produces a bit of a musty/damp smell.

Is this an easy fix? Is it something that can be done at home?

Cheers

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Check the drain plug from the a/c unit under dash to beneath the floor, passenger side on tranny hump, isn't blocked. It's a short piece of black hose flattened on the end. Poke a bit of wire up and give it a few twists. Mine also tends to have a bit of a damp smell in the same circumstances, but not as extreme as yours.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
any un normal smell from inside? the car
Hey guys,

Just wondering whether this issue I'm having it heater core related, or something else.

If I have my aircon on and put it on recycle, and then turn it off and change it to normal vents, the car interior heats up fairly quickly and becomes very muggy. Even the windscreen seems to start fogging up.
It also produces a bit of a musty/damp smell.

Is this an easy fix? Is it something that can be done at home?

Cheers

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
yeah the damp musty smell when the aircon is off and just the fan is on. when the aircon is on it doesnt smell etc.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Could be heater core. See, usually there is water circulating through the core even if you think the tap is closed (vacuum problem/tap corroded) Feel the pipes near the drivers footrest if they're hot.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
if ur windscreen fogs up wen u turn ur heaters on then yep ur heater core is leaking man. same happend 2 mine which i managed 2 replace myself, i didnt have any coolent on the floor or anything only had leaking coolent out of the a/c pipe wen i used the aircon only so it driped out side of the car instead.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I haven't checked my coolant lately to be honest, temp gauge hasn't shown any massive readings (only the strange thing of not showing its usual temp but a lesser temp once its at running temp (did it again tonight).

I don't know if it does it when my heater is on.
But the fan itself, if I've got it turned all the way to cold, no air con on and just blowing on face or face/legs etc. the windscreen fogs, and there's a damp musty smell.

Tried to feel for pipes around the drivers foot rest, and couldn't find anything that felt like a pipe as such.
if I poked my finger down the side of the carpet touching the floor of the car next to the foot rest it felt quite warm, there was also something big and plastic-ish hidden well under the dash etc on that side that felt warm too.

I'm thinking this should really get some attention soon (along with the exhaust, my god it sounds shocking rattling around etc...)

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
heater core may have a small leak,,,(thats the smell) of coolent (know it well from when my heater core died
yeah the damp musty smell when the aircon is off and just the fan is on. when the aircon is on it doesnt smell etc.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Hmm shite.
I know it's a big, dash out job for the VT. is it something that can be done yourself or with mates over a period of a day ? I've read it needs to be degassed etc.
Is it a straight forward job if the degas was done ?
can I just buy a heater core online or from a workshop etc and do it myself ? or is it something that's best to leave to the professionals?

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmm shite.
I know it's a big, dash out job for the VT. is it something that can be done yourself or with mates over a period of a day ? I've read it needs to be degassed etc.
Is it a straight forward job if the degas was done ?
can I just buy a heater core online or from a workshop etc and do it myself ? or is it something that's best to leave to the professionals?
DONT WONT TO SCARE YOU SO PLS GO HERE TO BE SCARED BY OTHER MEMBERS LOL >>>>>>>>> http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...lacing-heater-core-where-abouts-how-much.html LOL AND DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER LOL.....CHEEERS