Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX brake pedal went to the floor...!

scubabob

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
My daughter has a VX which we are currently using as a work car. All is good but about a month ago i dropped her off at home then on the way to my place, the brake pedal went to the floor, the handbrake light came on and the h/brake alarm went off. The car seems to slow a little and i pumped the pedal up a bit which helped (i drive a 1961 Land Rover so i know all about bad brakes). It happened once again then it was fine.

We took it to the brake guy who pulled it all apart and found nothing wrong so we got him to change the fluid as a matter of course. Everything was fine and my daughter thought i had imagined it until the other day she was driving and the same thing happened only the pedal didnt go all the way. light and alarm went off, then she pumped it and soon all was good.

Has anyone else had any similar problems and any ideas on what it could be?

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
I'd be changing the master cylinder..

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Either that or your abs i would be checking.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
i'd suggest finding out the fault code and then taking it from there, rather than replacing everything until the problem is solved

cuttinglaps

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 S2 VX CLUBSPORT
Break out the snap-on scanner !

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
For the Pedal to go to the floor without much break force being applied, then either the seal around the brake piston in the master cylinder is gone, or something is interfering with the seal.

Piston can't be gone itself or it would happen every time. Ditto the master cylinder housing.

Unlikely to be abs because ABS doesn't cross channels - ie Front brakes are a seperate circuit to rear. Front does 70% of braking, while handbrake is on the rear. Ergo - unlikely to be ABS.

Quick and easy is to replace master cyclinder. Alternatively drain and remove master cylinder, clean hone and fit new piston and housing seals.

scubabob

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
thanks for the time and advice guys, thought it might be a seal in the M.C. i will put it to my girl and get it done. cheers