Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Internal Fan (blower?)

E

elbows

Hi, I am a new member and was wondering if anyone has come across this problem before?

Yesterday, it was reasonably warm, I parked my commodore acclaim, leaving the fan and aircon switches on as I turned the car off and removed the key.

When I came back to the car, an hour later, I unlocked it, got in and the fan was going full bore by itself.

I started the car okay, but the fan remained on even after switching the fan and aircon switches off. The only way I could get the fan to stop was to remove the 40amp fusible relay from under the bonnet.

Any ideas?

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Welcome aboard mate.

Only one question for you....is it climate control?

If so chances are it will be the fan speed amplifier....I think its located on the right hand side of the passengers foot well towards the firewall.

Have not yet seen this problem on the VT's but chances are that they will be the same as the earlier models.

Other possibility is that the main blower fan relay is stuffed try swapping it with another one and see if that makes a difference.

Regards Guy.

E

elbows

Thanx for reply Guy. No, its doesn't have climate control. I have already tried another fuse relay under the bonnet and still have the same result.

However, after looking thru previous forums, I discovered that there is a fuse board below the steering wheel. I have now checked that and removed the blower fuse and that stopped the fan. I then put the rear demister fuse in the blower slot and the fan remained off and with ignition on the fan works. I never would have thought that a crook fuse would actually make something bypass the ignition circuit.

So thanx again Guy, I have noticed that you are one of the main contributors to this forum, I appreciate your effort and everyone elses, for that matter. I hope I am able to pass on assistance to others in the near future.

Cheers

Andrew

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Great to see you found the problem...!!!!!

Just courious, could you varify if it was a Fuse or a Relay you changed? I'm just trying to work out what has happened thats all. looking at the wiring diagram and would appreciate the info.

Regards Guy.

D

darrenf

same thing happened to my 98 VT acclaim,
found the cause to be a fused relay under the steering column,
The reason the fan stayed on with the ignition off is because the ignition power controls the relay coil, when the relay cooks the contacts get stuck in the ON position and turning the ignition off has no effect.
the relay can be swapped with the rear demister relay as a quick fix.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...thought it might be the case.

Regards Guy

J

jpsebay

Hi all

ive got a VT Berlina, it has climate control. Today the fan has stopped blowing.
The first 4 levels of fan (a/c on or off) do not work but the 5th, which is HIGH, the fans work.
Ive checked the relays, swapped etc and still no joy

has anyone come across this before?
any solutions?

cheers

jps