Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Too much tranni fluid in my Transmission

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
That sounds naughty!

Ok a while back I posted somewhere on my epic mission to stop my car from doing 400k's to a full tank (Ex squad car VX... Maybe Ill do a my ride section one day... maybe). Replaced a whole hepa crap and increased econ by 150K's per tank stop start. yay for me right?

Not really, the sump plug is jammed (Tryed removeing with stylsons.. no luck), getting an alloy welder to weld on a big bar to twist it out and then will have to redo the thread.

But thats currently not my problem!

There is WAYYYYY too much transmission fluid in ye ol' 4 speed, and you can feel it. Now ive searched the internet, and searched the forums. Most how to drains have been of VS or before. VX is simmilar setup with hoses running to the radiator, however they are metal tubes, and have one hose section which is hydrolicly pressed on. Then they go back to metal tubes and go into the radiator...

So how do I drain the excess fluid? X.x

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Is transmission due for a service?

May as well get a cheap kit from repco or alike, drop the pan, swapout the gasket,filter and fluid to the correct amount and away ya go.

Failing that, I am unsure how to drain fluid without removing the million bolts on the pan. Probably an easier way than that available!

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Get a large syringe with a length of plastic tube on it and and put the tube down the dipstick hole and suck the excess fluid out. I've been able to do this before and it also works with engine oil that's been overfilled. Probably easier when the oil is hot.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Get a large syringe with a length of plastic tube on it and and put the tube down the dipstick hole and suck the excess fluid out. I've been able to do this before and it also works with engine oil that's been overfilled. Probably easier when the oil is hot.

That is the way I have done it also.
I trust you are checking the fluid level with the engine running and in Park.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
Thanks so much guys. I did have the idea to syphon it but wasn't sure. Its not due for a service as the oil is crystal and smells like Transmission sex.

Ill pop over the bunnings and pick up an 8mm clear tube and syphone some out when I get some time away from pesky customers!

Thanks again. Will post up results fail or win