Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibration at Speed

Haydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Betty - Supercharged VX Berlina
G'day all,

I know there's a few posts on this but l'll give it a crack again...

I'm getting serious vibration over 85km, nothing noticeable at lower speeds.
I've had the wheels balanced & aligned a couple of times. Last time they were rotated.
The steering wheel goes nuts shaking from side to side but I reckon I can feel the vibe through the seat & even the accelerator pedal at times too.

The weird thing is crusin down the freeway 100-120km the steering wheel will be shaking like mad, then all of a sudden it will be as smooth as, no vibe for about a minute or so then it starts going spastic again. This makes me think its something out of the ordinary but maybe I'm wrong.

Haydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply Adds.
I should have mentioned, front caster bushes have been replaced already. As for the bearings they seem tight but while I had the car up I gave the wheels a spin... about once per rev. there is some friction. I would have had a better look if the mrs wasn't breaking my balls... but just by that maybe the rotors are warped? Come to think of it I reckon I can feel it when braking lightly. Whaddya think?

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
just an idea mate, get someone else's front wheels to borrow, ones that drive fine on their car and take it for a spin. I had the same problem but mine was constant at 80+ it turned out it was the tires, they wernt low and what i thought were a good brand to. so yeah borrow some other wheels and try that out? saves you buying new tires if it isnt the tires

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Check:
- Bushes
- Wheel bearings
- steering rack

I had a similar issue on the VB. If its VT, the problem could be in the tailshaft. Problem on the VB was solved via a new set of tyres.

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
mine had the same trouble and then found out one of the wheel was buckled , tell the tyre shop people to only run the wheel on the balancing machine without the tyre and they will find out which one is it.

Haydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
just an idea mate, get someone else's front wheels to borrow, ones that drive fine on their car and take it for a spin. I had the same problem but mine was constant at 80+ it turned out it was the tires, they wernt low and what i thought were a good brand to. so yeah borrow some other wheels and try that out? saves you buying new tires if it isnt the tires

Yeah, I've got a set of VT Clubsport rims in a mate's shed but that's at the arse end of nowhere... looks like I'm goin for a road trip next weekend.

Check:
- Bushes
- Wheel bearings
- steering rack

I had a similar issue on the VB. If its VT, the problem could be in the tailshaft. Problem on the VB was solved via a new set of tyres.

I miss my old VC... the old interceptor rims would come in handy about now. Besides caster bushes what else should I be looking at?

Maybe a wheel or two is buckled, if you get the chance have a look at that

They look OK visually anyway, I'll be spewing if they are. I reckon the friction is between the rotor & pad though, would a buckled rim cause that?

Thanks for the replys fellas. I'll have a better look this weekend.

Haydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
mine had the same trouble and then found out one of the wheel was buckled , tell the tyre shop people to only run the wheel on the balancing machine without the tyre and they will find out which one is it.

Thanks for the tip mate, I'll be pi$$ed off if its a rim though.

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
I got my wheels off ciddyau (user of this site) and the two front wheels were badly buckled and i get the vibration at higher speeds, but to combat this they put the wheels at the back and the best two at the front. Had to get two new tires as well as one was deformed and other had a split :(

to bad he forgot to mention this stuff to me and i had to learn the hardway