Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt Commodore Trouble shooting.

yanikins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Aclaim
Hey Guys and Girls. I think I found the right spot to post this, if not, can someone direct me to the right place?

Anyway My 1998 V6 VT Acclaim wagon died lastnight. Was wondering if anyone could help me pinpoint the problem as cash is a bit tight.

This is the sequence of events:

About once every two weeks since I purchased it, the abs and traction lights would stay on until car was turned off and restarted.

About two months ago the car started to not start first try. It was only on the odd occasion but has since become more regular. 2 days ago after work the car refused to start for a good 30 seconds. When this first started the car would run for a second or two then die. As it got worse the car refused to run at all. Normally when this happened once i turned the car completely off and tried again it would start.

Lastnight as I was driving the engine died. As I was poking around the engine bay i realised I could smell sulfur and hear bubbling coming from the battery.

I have replaced the battery this morning and its just more of the same. Car turns over but wont start.

These points may or may not be relevent:
Have been driving from gold coast to brisbane 2 times a week all year and it runs great on the highway.
Has felt somewhat sluggish on suburban roads with lots of roundabouts.
I have been running the tank until close to empty quite often - DTE seems to go through patches where it fluctuates wildly, + or - 35 km with no change in throttle position (highway)
The orange engine light and the battery light come on after replacing the battery. These two alone stay lit after trying to start the car.
There is a very very faint high pitched noise coming from around the alternator when ignition is on.

Obviously im guessing either the fuel pump being shot, the alternator being shot, or both. Considering the sequence of events, any input anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Is the immobiliser turning off when you are trying to start it, that is does the security light in the mode switch stop flashing?
Checking the fault codes might help find the problem, when the engine light comes on it usually logs a fault code in the computer. Below is a link on how to read fault codes.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vt-vx.23665

yanikins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Aclaim
Code 12 all clear

Red light turns off

yanikins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Aclaim
For those interested, was a fuel filter problem. Swapped the old one out and she starts and idles fine. Gonna take her for a spin. Wish me luck.

Also, fuel in your eye and ear hurts like hell.

Seriously. That s*** is f***ed up.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
For those interested, was a fuel filter problem. Swapped the old one out and she starts and idles fine. Gonna take her for a spin. Wish me luck.

Also, fuel in your eye and ear hurts like hell.

Seriously. That s*** is f***ed up.

Gets me every time too, even though I de-pressurise the system and try to stay clear

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Good work mate, glad it was an easy fix!!