Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

monaro bonnet on vx ss?

Thessman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Ss s2
ive recently removed the engine cover on my vx ss as i was told this helps ventilate and cool the motor. whether this is true or not, i dont care. but i was also thinking of installing a monaro bonnet to help ventilate and cool, assuming of course the monaro vents will aid in this and if not they still look good. can anyone clarify this and aldo, does anyone know of a place in the melbourne area and surrounding suburbs (preferably morington peninsula, dandenong etc) that sell them for a resonable price. i dont need it painted as im a spray painter by trade. also, there are fibre glass and steel bonnets on the market, which is better? long thread, i know but any help would be greatly appreciatted.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
i wouldnt bother unless its for looks, i doubt you will any benefit from it.

Huntington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
and if its for looks, im not a fan, way better off spending money on the go go

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
get steel, as a spray painter you should know which is better? and its only for looks

Thessman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Ss s2
Well I was asking which is better from a perfomance view. Maybe I'll research a little more. Thanks guys.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
More for show than performance as far as I know. If you want to cool the engine better, upgrade stock air intake. The effects of the vents on the bonnet would be negligile at best, also not sure all fibre glass bonnets are legal, so double check.

zapper-l67

LS# Eat One Today...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Tested, Genuine steel GMH Monaro Bonnet gives 50 deg coola under bonnet temps in summer..
grill.jpg

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Tested, Genuine steel GMH Monaro Bonnet gives 50 deg coola under bonnet temps in summer..

Not saying they won't have any effect. But 50*C less in 'summer'? Not exactly strict testing conditions, day or night? Humidity levels? Temperature? Were you moving? Because as these vents are essentially guided air intakes, unless you're doing a decent speed they are not being utilised.

Their effect, if any, would be subject to a whole host of conditions. Unless you were driving for long periods of time at high speeds (80+), they're more about show than performance. It's like a rear spoiler, not much effect unless you're doing some serious speeds.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
how much of a HP gain is 50*c cooler?